Bandana, Hairnet, Hat, Ponytail?...

Decorating By kellertur Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 31

When you bake, which do you find the most comfortable?

I use a bandana. I stopped using ponytails because they were pulling out my hair, and hairnets....well, are beyond uncomfortable and leave marks on my forehead triggering migraines.

30 replies
robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 31

I like the classic ponytail myself. A bandana sounds like a great idea, but I could definitely see myself wanting to fidle with it and readjust it all the time, ha.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 31

I use a ponytail pulled through a ball cap. My favorite "Life is Good" hat!! Gets me in the zoonnnnneeeeee.....

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 31

Ponytail for me! But now I'm in a ponytail all the timeicon_sad.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 31

I have really long hair, so I always put it in a pony tail or twist it up in a clip. Hair nets also trigger my migranes...good to know I'm not the only one.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 31

I use a hairnet and I agree with OP it leaves marks and I always have a headache...but i get headaches also with ponytails and bandanas.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #7 of 31

my hair is really long and hubby says i shed hair all over the place so i always put my hair back in a ponytail and give myself a bit of a lint roller treatment before i go to the kitchen

kellertur Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:03am
post #8 of 31

Those who wear ponytails...do you worry that a long hair will fall away? I always clipped the end up like a bun when I wore them, because of the swinging-like-a-horse's-tail part... I am super paranoid about hair in food, so I may be over cautious..

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 31

I have short hair so I wear a hairnet-a pink one at that. I have actually forgotten I had it on and answered the door for the UPS man...embarrassing!!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #10 of 31

My hair is short now, so my ponytail doesn't hang much. But ya, when I had longer hair, I'd put it up right into a bun. Or clipped away with one of those claw clip/butterfly clip things.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #11 of 31

My hair is long enough that I twist it up with a hair clip. But I might have to find a good "cakin" hat and do what Havingfun does. icon_lol.gif

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:32am
post #12 of 31

Hairnet...I look like Gladys Ormphby from Laugh-In icon_biggrin.gif I'd DIE if someone found a hair in my buttercream!!

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #13 of 31

I wear a ponytail and a bandana and clip up my ponytail.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:52am
post #14 of 31

OMGosh!! Mrs A, I shed terribly also!! I shower, brush hair upside down, right side up, put it in a ponytail, THEN get dressed, after shaking out my clean shirt. Then I put on my "Life is Good" hat. I am soooo paranoid about getting hair in a cake or icing. This menopause crap is for the birds.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #15 of 31

I have VERY long hair also, and shed like crazy! I brush my hair then put it in a pony tail but on the last pull through i dont pull it all the way through but leave it like a bun, just instead of it hanging loose it hangs in a loop, then I wear a bandana (triangle fold) over the top.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:58am
post #16 of 31

I have really long hair and put it in a very loose ponytail, but I have to keep redoing it as it falls out. Now before anyone thinks 'god shes stupid' icon_rolleyes.gif I can't bear to have my hair fastened tight or wear anything on my head after having 4 brain surgery's because of a condition I have. All this has left my scalp super sensitive. icon_sad.gif I don't want any sympathy votes just any ideas what I could do/use besides shaving my head. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizrash

I have really long hair and put it in a very loose ponytail, but I have to keep redoing it as it falls out. Now before anyone thinks 'god shes stupid' icon_rolleyes.gif I can't bear to have my hair fastened tight or wear anything on my head after having 4 brain surgery's because of a condition I have. All this has left my scalp super sensitive. icon_sad.gif I don't want any sympathy votes just any ideas what I could do/use besides shaving my head. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Kizrash, I have a good friend that has asked me to come up with something for her . She is a a cook and gets migraines when wearing her hair up. I sew a lot and make handmade kitchen apron sets that usually come with a hair tie (kinda like a bandana) but am working on something more like a cloth bonnet for her, (think shower cap made from fabric) Maybe you could find something like that.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #18 of 31

My hair is waist-length and jet black and gets super heavy and pulls on my head when I wear a regular ponytail, so I always do a long braid.

kizrash Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #19 of 31

'Jaimeann' thats an idea, certainly given me something to think about...Thanks thumbs_up.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #20 of 31

tThis is kind of like what I'm talking about. A mob cap or dust bonnet but I want to make it with a band that would tie at the nape of the neck instead of having elastic, so it wouldnt be as constricting.
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #21 of 31

I have reallly long hair as well. It goes past my bra strap a good three inches so I usually always wear a ponytail whether I'm baking or not. When I bake I wear some really cute bandana head wraps that I bought at a biker shop icon_lol.gif I am so paronid that someone will find a hair in one of my cakes that I keep a lint roller near and use it several times while I'm baking/decorating to make certain that I don't have any loose hairs floating around. I also wear a white shirt so the hair would be easy to spot just in case. I hate hairnets beyond measure. icon_lol.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:12am
post #22 of 31

I have waist-length hair, which I put in hairclips and a braid when I work in the kitchen.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #23 of 31

I use a ponytail AND and bandana to keep any pesky bits from falling in my face.. I have some little bits in front that are a lil shorter and don't want to be touching my hair to tuck it behind my ears then have to wash my hands afterwards each and every time before I touch cake stuff again!

kizrash Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:04am
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

tThis is kind of like what I'm talking about. A mob cap or dust bonnet but I want to make it with a band that would tie at the nape of the neck instead of having elastic, so it wouldnt be as constricting.

yes I can see what you mean, that would be a really good idea. I will try tying a piece of ribbon maybe just around my head to fasten at the nape of my neck just to see if it would be comfortable for me. Its actually just to the left of the nape where I've had two decompression surgeries, but I will give it a go and let you know how I get on. Many many thanks for your kind help. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Kez

kellertur Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #25 of 31

If a customer found a hair, would they say something???

<throat closing thinking of hair in food>

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #26 of 31

I usually tie my hair in a ponytail, but I will have to consider the hat thing.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #27 of 31

I have long waist length hair as well and I wear mine in a knotted bun.Spray it with hairspray and way I go...I hardly ever wear it down anyway...Come to think of it I don't even know why I bother having it long...

kellertur Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #28 of 31

I'm actually thinking of shaving my head again... as in "bald".
It's easier, and I have a nice head shape. icon_smile.gif I shaved my head once in support of a friend who lost her hair to chemo, and I actually liked it.

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:54am
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

I'm actually thinking of shaving my head again... as in "bald".
It's easier, and I have a nice head shape. icon_smile.gif I shaved my head once in support of a friend who lost her hair to chemo, and I actually liked it.

Talk about an easy hair style!!!! I would get some pretty flower and koifish tattoos on my bald head! I just don't have the guts to shave off all my hair. If I ever loose my hair that is what I'm gonna do! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:41am
post #30 of 31

It's a ponytail for me, but I use the now way out of date scrunchie instead of a hair tie. The scrunchie keeps it pulled back but isn't so tight that it gives me a headache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%