Help! How To Make These Flowers For A Wedding Cake!!!??

Decorating By KimberlysKakery Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm by Donnawb

KimberlysKakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberlysKakery Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to make a cake similar to the one below. I have never made flowers like these. Any advice? Tutorials? Thank you so much!!!!

Also...she does not want the cake to be covered in fondant...she wants cream cheese icing. I have never been able to get cream cheese super smooth...any advice?

LL

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 14

I don't think the flowers look all that unusual. Just normal cutter shapes.

Here's how I deal with cream cheese icing.

I refuse to do it. There's no reason I ever let a customer tell me to do something that I know won't work (at least for me).

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 14

same here, I won't do cream cheese, especially for a wedding where the cake may sit out for hours. cream cheese is not good with heat. Pretty cake though.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 14

The flowers look cut with normal flower and leaf cutter shapes (as leah_s said), with dots piped in the middle and on some of the petals. Very lovely cake!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 14

I agree that the flowers look easy to make with cutters and piping but just wanted to suggest an alternative to cream cheese frosting. I bought cheesecake flavored oils from LorAnn (purchased on line, I believe) and used it in my buttercream instead of the flavorings I usually use. It seemed to work well and the bride and groom liked it at the tasting. I also tried adding a dry package of cheesecake pudding but you have to alter the amount of liquid. The taste was good but I wasn't as pleased with the smoothness of the buttercream with this method. Just some suggestions. I've added merigue powder to try and help smooth cream cheese frosting but find I do better to just refrigerate and smooth several times. I still would not do it for a wedding though.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 14

Looks like the rose five petal cutter, some of the bigger flowers the petal are folded at the bottom. The smaller flowers are a Wilton cutter. Then their all piped like the above said.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 14

Flowers the size of the larger ones will not stick to cream cheese icing and stay in place -- they will slide down as soon as the cake gets to room temperature. I'm with Leah -- just say no. There was a thread a week or so ago in which several members suggested telling brides that the look they want (as in the photo here) cannot be achieved in cream cheese. Give her a tasting of a good fondant and see if you can persuade her to go that route.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 14

when my customer wants cream cheese icing, I tell them ONLY on kitchen cakes..........otherwise, use it as a filling and cover in regular bc.........no way I'm monekying with getting that smooth on the main cake!!

KimberlysKakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberlysKakery Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #10 of 14

Thank y'all so much for the advice! icon_smile.gif

I told the bride that cream cheese just wouldn't work! icon_smile.gif She is ok with fondant now.

I bought some of the cutters today so hopefully my flowers will work out fine! I have used piping gel in the past to attach fondant to fondant.....but they weren't very heavy things. Do you think that will work with these flowers or is there some other way y'all prefer??

Thank you again! You girls rock!

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 14

Kimberley, I would go with thick royal icing (like Antonia74's here on cc) or melted white choc/candy melts to get the flowers to stick. They both set up fairly quickly and are much stronger than the gel. I promise it will make your delivery and set up safer!

Good luck!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #12 of 14

I've made this cake, but square. (Brown wedding cake on page 3 of my pics) The flowers were super simple. i just used a circle cutter, then the ball tool and foam to make the petals cup shaped. "Glued" the petals together with royal icing. I was surprised how well they turned out. I bet yours will work out just fine too!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 14

great cake.. love how "simple" it looks.. as far as design.. I know that execution is also something different!! icon_smile.gif

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 14

How do you get the pink frosting shiny like in this picture (or is that just the photography)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%