Can Anyone Weigh In On A Good Kitchen Scale?

Decorating By monet1895 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm by dchockeyguy

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

I think it's time to add this tool to my inventory. Took a peek at BBB today. Just wondering if anyone has input?

9 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 10

Great Subject Line...good pun!

I subscribe to America's Test Kitchen and they tested several consumer level kitchen scales. They concluded that most were fairly accurate, so pick the one that has the features you need.

They liked the Oxo Good Grips one where the control panel pulls out on a cord away from the unit so that if you had a large bowl on the scale you could still see the numbers.

I bought that one and love it. I never thought with just being a hobby baker that I'd use it so much but I really do.

Hope this helps.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #3 of 10
monet1895 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for your input!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 10

I have a middle of the price range digital one from Bed, Bath and Beyond and have been happy with it. I'm not sure the brand it is though.

When you look for one, you want to make sure you get one that switches between oz and grams, and one that has a zero feature. I love that feature! icon_smile.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 10

I use the one I bought when I first joined Weight Watchers 5 years ago. Lord knows I don't use it for THAT anymore since I started making cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

It works great, have never even replaced the battery.

monet1895 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, thanks TexasSugar! Both of those features are musts. I was noticing the zeroing feature, and I know that's a must have! Want to be able to put an empty container on the scale, zero, and then weigh so that I can dump ingredient into my recipe.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 10

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=120841

The above is the one I have.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=16210315

I think this is the one my mom has.

I would say if I bought it agian I'd get one that you can still easily read the numbers if you have a bigger bowl on top. I actually use mine more for cooking than baking.

monet1895 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the links and additional input.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 10

I agre with PattyT. I also subscribe to that magazine and bought that scale based on their review. I have yet to be disappointed with it. I was recently converted to scaling all of my recipes, so it's become invaluable now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%