Commercial Kitchen

Business By CakeInfatuation Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 8:54am by indydebi

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 2

I was reading on Charm City Cakes website that due to liability issues, they can't have people come to their bakery and watch them work or anything.

I also know that I can't have kids in my own home kitchen during commercial processing.

What I'd like to know is whether or not it is okay to have childrens parties in the actual kitchen of the bakery where all the processing is done?

Granted this would not be happening when any food prep is going on. But the kids would be able to check out the equipment, mixer attachments, counter's etc. Kind of like a please touch museum/educational event.

I have a licensed kitchen at home so I don't do the commercial kitchen thing so I'm not sure.

I took my son to a consignment shop the other day and they wouldn't let him use their bathroom for liability issues so I'm just wondering if any of you have insight on this.

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:54am
post #2 of 2

HD usually prohibits non-authorized personnel in a kitchen.

here's how I explained it to one young man who needed to use my (non-public bathroom). I always joked and told them "dont' tell the health dept I let you". He laughed and said, "is your bathroom that bad?" I laughed back and said, "Oh they don't care if you use my bathroom! They just don't want you walking thru my kitchen to get to it. You're welcome to walk around the whole building and go in thru the backdoor ... you just can't walk thru the kitchen."

When he looked confused I explained: "let's say you're a butt scratchin' nose picker (and his mom burst out laughing). You walk thru my kitchen and innocently let your hand glide along my stainless steel counter. My counter is now contaminated with your butt-scratchin' germs and any food I put on there is also contaminated ... simply because as an unauthorized person in the kitchen, you didn't wash your hands upon entry. THAT'S why you technically can't use my bathroom. So don't touch anything on the way back there!"

It has to do with food safety issues ... which in turn leads to liability issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%