How Would You Respond To This Bride?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:11am by Jeep_girl816

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #1 of 8

Bride contacted me today wanting a small three teir cake (bottom being a dummy) and sheet cakes to feed 300. I e-mailed her with my prices for cake being all cake and price with dummy cake (not much difference) and the price of each sheet cake (12 x 1icon_cool.gif in a disposable pan for kitchen cakes (cakes to be cut in back and not seen). She replies wanting to know if two of the sheet cakes can be round? Sheet cakes are not round are they? And she won't get as many servings from a round. And she wants them to be placed out front beside the wedding cake. These would not be considered sheet cakes would they? Any thoughts?

7 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 8

I would ask her if she were looking for sheet cakes or kitchen cakes. Sheet cakes are just one layer of cake with no fillings. Kitchen cakes are 4 layers cake with 3 layers filling. Ask her which guests would get the fillings and which wouldn't.

Sounds like another bride trying to save money without realizing the differences. I personally have never seen a round sheet cake.

Good Luck

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #3 of 8

No, sheet cakes are not round. What she is describing would not be kitchen cakes, but satellite cakes. Here is where it is your job as the professional to educate your client. Make sure you explain the difference to her, including the difference in cost (satellite cakes would be decorated, whereas kitchen cakes would not). Also, sheet cakes should not be used as kitchen cakes as the guests WILL know the difference between their 2" high piece of cake w/ frosting on top and the pieces cut from the actual wedding cake that are 4" tall and have layers of filling and cake.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

I agree with prterrell. Sheet cakes are not round. They're rectangular cakes with no filling, just icing on top and typically are kept in the kitchen and cut there without the guests seeing them.

Can someone explain to me this mentality of giving some guests a nice pretty filled piece of cake from the wedding cake, then giving all the schlubs a sheet cake piece with no filling??? Maybe most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but I think I'd be kind of offended if I was the schlub who got the sheet cake with no filling and the guy sitting next to me got the luscious piece of tahitian vanilla bean cake with the alternating layers of lemon and raspberry creme filling! icon_confused.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I agree with prterrell. Sheet cakes are not round. They're rectangular cakes with no filling, just icing on top and typically are kept in the kitchen and cut there without the guests seeing them.

Can someone explain to me this mentality of giving some guests a nice pretty filled piece of cake from the wedding cake, then giving all the schlubs a sheet cake piece with no filling??? Maybe most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but I think I'd be kind of offended if I was the schlub who got the sheet cake with no filling and the guy sitting next to me got the luscious piece of tahitian vanilla bean cake with the alternating layers of lemon and raspberry creme filling! icon_confused.gif

I have no idea. I'm making my friend's wedding cake that will serve ~50 people. The caterer's wife is making sheet cakes for the rest of the people to eat, but my cake is just to be seen and eaten by the bridal party and immediate family. I have never in my life been to a wedding where different people got different caliber cakes.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8

BTW, Defy - love your name and avatar. Are you a fan of Wicked?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Can someone explain to me this mentality of giving some guests a nice pretty filled piece of cake from the wedding cake, then giving all the schlubs a sheet cake piece with no filling???

It's a cost-cutting move (albeit a rude one), probably suggested in a bridal magazine by a writer who didn't know a thing about cake and thus had no idea that there's a marked difference between the cakes.

Unfortuately, there are some brides out there who invite more people than they can really afford (or really want) because that means more GIFTS (i.e. MONEY).

I'm not saying that all brides who do this are of the gimmee mentality, but some are. Others are just clueless about cake and aren't thinking about the A-list and B-list impression that this gives. That's where it is up to the professionals to educate them. Personally, I won't do it.

Either order enough cake for everyone for the main cake or do proper kitchen cakes, with the same flavors, layers, and filling, but in rectangular form and w/o decoration.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:11am
post #8 of 8

I'd feel totally robbed to go to a wedding (probably buy a new dress to wear, and a nice gift) only to have the bride cheap out and give out plain sheet cake icon_sad.gif I HATE when bridal mags suggest that! And it's just as much the brides fault for not price comparing/checking herself and just blindly going by magazine/web advice. I got dressed up and came, bearing gifts, I want real cake dang it!!! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%