Where Can I Find Crystal Bead Fringe For A Cake?

Decorating By Ladyfish74 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm by Ladyfish74

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 14

I need the crystal bead fringe that hangs from ornamental trim. I need the bead strands to hang right next to each other with no spaces in-between and I need it to be 8 to 10 inches long or longer. I have seen this on many cakes but can't seem to find it anywhere. I've been able to find bead rope and bead garland and lots of bead fringe that you would put on a garment but none like I need. Does anybody have any knowledge on this subject?
LL

13 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 14

I haven't seen any that long anywhere either. I think if I needed it, I would make it, but crystal or glass beads would be pretty expensive so plastic might be a better bet.

bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 14

I was just at Michaels and seen some beaded edging in the Bridal secetions and thought those would look great on the side of a cake however I don't know if they were just like the pic. I would like to know where to get them as well because Michaels only had a few colors.

Ladyfish74 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #4 of 14

I haven't been able to find acrylic ones either. I thought maybe I could cut down some beaded curtains, but the strands are spaced too far apart. If I find what I'm looking for, I'll post it.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 14

there's a website I use a lot... save on crafts. They have strands that you can buy but you will have to cut.

Ladyfish74 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:35am
post #6 of 14

Yes, I use sav-on too. That was the first place I went and probably where I will end up. There must be an easier way!

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:56am
post #7 of 14

I have done several cakes with the hanging crystal beads. Most of the time I have gotten them from either Joanns or Michaels. They are in the jewelry making department. And yes, each strip is single, and maybe somewhere between 8-10 inches long. It takes a LOT of strips. And they can be very pricey unless you have a lot of coupons and time to do a lot of trips into the store, or have several people with you, each with coupons. It also takes several store locations to find enough available. Also, I have purchased the Christmas beaded garlands that can be cut to whatever length you need. It takes a lot of them also. One other possibility is a lighting fixture supply store on line where you can order the crystal chains and cut them whatever length you need.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 6:11am
post #8 of 14

I was going to suggest buying a (BIG!) reel of stranded beads and making it a DIY job - attaching 8 - 10 inch lengths close together on a band around the base board.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 7:23am
post #9 of 14

I just found this site that sells different beads on spools (prestrung). Here is the link. Maybe something from here will work.

http://www.shopwildthings.com/info.html#shipping

bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:29am
post #10 of 14

That's a neat link -Thanks for the site link

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #11 of 14

You are welcome.

Ladyfish74 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 14

Well, thanks ya'll. I have decided to do what some have suggested. Get a spool of acrylic beads and do it myself. The best place for those is on the above mentioned website. shopwildthings.com They have a bigger selection and they are cheaper. Bling is supposed to be big this year! Another website you may want to use for rhinestone banding and other neat stuff is www.ejoyce.com. They are the cheapest I've found for bling you can use on cakes.

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 14

i seen that effect done on ultimate cake off. the guy took a silicone gem mold and put a piece of clear string in the mold and poured the sugar in the mold and let it set. when he opened it he had strands of crystal beads.

Ladyfish74 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 14

Wow! thanks. I never thought of making edible beads. That would be really different and people always want edible stuff even if they know they're not going to eat it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%