Rice Paper. . Anyone Have Any Experience With It?

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 8 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm by Lyndseyb52

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 7

I will be making a Minnie Mouse Gift Bag for my nieces birthday in a couple weeks and I was thinking about using rice paper as the tissue paper so it looks more realistic. But I don't know a thing about it. Does it taste good?

Is it possible to buy it with patterns/colors already on it, or do you have to color it yourself?

Worse case I will just roll out really thin gumpaste, but I just figured this would look so much more realistic.

Thanks for the help in advance!

6 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 7

I just use fondant or gumpaste. I have never tried rice paper . Let me know if you find out if it works

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 7

It's actually called wafer paper. Has almost no taste and only comes in white. I buy it by the 100 sheet package.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 7

we call it rice paper here in the uk, and i know here you can buy it in different colours mostly pastels , and it usually has a pleated look, like a diamond impression icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 7

A while back a purchased some rice paper from my local cake supply store. It didnt taste very good and it was kind of fragile. I remember it kept cracking as I tried to do some cut outs.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

I use rice paper for printing pics and drawing pics on to apply to cakes. It almost want to taste like communion. So, it's flavorless and very fragile, can't get it wet or damp.
my suggestion would be to use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant for tissue paper. just cut out irregular shapes scrunch some fold some and let them dry. Then insert into your cake. HTH

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 8 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 7

I've used rice paper before to make butterflies but it won't wrinkle up like tissue paper would, so I'd do as the others have said...roll out fondant thinly, let it dry scrunched up and you should be ok.

I did something like that for my shoe box cake and it worked great if you take a look at my photos you'll see the one I mean.

Lyndsey xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%