Gelatin Help

Baking By kirigami Updated 5 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm by cakeladyatLA

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 4

Can someone please tell me how firm Gelatin mixed with water gets? Is it firm enough to use or is it super wobbly? Is it clear or opaque when it is done? The recipes I have seen on CC all call for Jello but I don't want to add colour. I am looking for the easiest way to try to make the glass around the top of a hockey rink.

Thanks

3 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Kirigami:

Gelatine has a yellowish tinge to it when it sets. It's not completely clear. You can use it for your hockey rink and it depens on how firm you want it is the ratio of water to gelatine that you would use. I don't know what that ratio would be. Maybe someone will come along with a better answer.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

The difficult method would be melted sugar or isomalt (lots written on here and on google), poured in the shape you need, then placed on top. The easier method would be to use piping gel, but you would have to get it smooth without disturbing frosting underneath it. I would think it would be easier on top of a fondant covered piece rather than buttercream, so you don't smear your design. Other than that, not quite sure of any other methods. HTH icon_smile.gif

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 5 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 4

I would use this recipe:

1 cup of water
4 tbsp clear gelatin

3 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar

Mix the cup of water and gelatin and let it bloom for at lest 10 min. Meanwhile heat the 3 cups of water and the sugar, mix in the bloomed gelatin. let it cooled down and pour. you can mix less than a drop of blue AIRBRUSH if wanted.

Patty*

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%