Kitchenaid Mixer

Decorating By nechee Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm by CbyA

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 20

I finally talked my husband into getting me a Kitchenaid mixer (he is tired of buying me a new hand mixr every three months because I blow out the motors) I have been looking at a few of them but I can't decide what would be the best one. I am looking at either the Heavy Duty Plus Bowl lift mixer. The Artisan series or the Professional Plus 5 series. Can anyone tell me what would be the best one. Or would getting the Classic Series which is somewhat cheaper be better?

19 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 20

LOVE MY KITCHENAID!!! icon_smile.gif

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 20

I recently used American Express points to upgrade my 4.5 qt Artisan to the 6 quart one. The difference is amazing!!!!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 20

I got the Artisan one because the bowl lift one was too tall to be underneath my cabinets and I didn't like the fact that to remove the bowl from the bowl lift ones you have to remove the beater every time. I can't see you going wrong with any of them.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 20

I have the Professional Plus 5 Series and I don't recommend it. I'm still trying to figure out if I can use the Professional 6 pieces on it, and if not, then I can't get extra bowls or paddles for it. I can't get anyone at KitchenAid to give me a straight answer on it. If you're going to get a Professional Series mixer, get the 6qt one. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 20

I have the 6 quart and I love it.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 20

My KitchenAid has been excellent. I've used it for over 20 years and have had no trouble. Buy the biggest you can afford, and that will fit in the space you have to store it. Bigger is way better.

cakesbybeccam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybeccam Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 20

I just got my kitchenAid in January... LOVE IT! I also got tired of blowing up hand mixers. I purchased mine at Costco it was the best deal at the time it is the 6 qt professional series. The downfall to Costco they only carry black. Khols also has good deals on kitchenAid. If you get the Khols coupons you can use a %30 off coupon on a KitchenAid.

Jesshibb129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesshibb129 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbybeccam

I just got my kitchenAid in January... LOVE IT! I also got tired of blowing up hand mixers. I purchased mine at Costco it was the best deal at the time it is the 6 qt professional series. The downfall to Costco they only carry black. Khols also has good deals on kitchenAid. If you get the Khols coupons you can use a %30 off coupon on a KitchenAid.

Wow, the Costco here had black, white, red, and gray!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 20

I bought mine at JC Penney's when they were having a sale at Christmas one year. I believe you can also use their coupons on them, but you'd have to look at the fine print.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 20

I have the Artisan 4.5 and the Pro 600...and love them both! I'm sure you will love whatever you decide on!

nanaburrows_nanacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanaburrows_nanacakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 20

I just got the Pro 600 6 qt and absolutely love it. I do large batters and compared to my 4.5qt Artisian it is wonderful. I am keeping both, one for the batter and one for the icings. You can't go wrong with Kitchenaid.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 20

I have the 6 quart and my daughter has the Artisan. I think it all depends on your needs. I love using her Artisan, but there are times that it just isn't big enough. I do prefer the tilt head to the lift ... not much help, I realize. Sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 20

I would definately go for one of the three you list - I love my KA Classic, but I've noticed that I am pushing it when I make something really still like MMF. Have fun!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 20

What kind of baking do you do? Do you do big cakes (tiered, several layers) or smaller cakes?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 20

I would go with bigger is better. I so badly want to upgrade mine but can't justify the money. Shouldn't have gotten the 6 quart to start. I would get it at Kohls and wait until they are doing one of their Kohls Cash promotions. Spend $50 get a $10 coupon for every $50 you spend. This with one of their coupons makes it a really really goodicon_smile.gif

Enjoy. I'm still looking to buy lids for my bowls.

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of baking do you do? Do you do big cakes (tiered, several layers) or smaller cakes?

I do mostly little ones with a couple of big ones about 2 or 3 times a year. I most do cookies, shortbreads and doughs. And of course all kinds of icing.

I picked up my Kitchenaid today. It is sitting on my kitchen table where I can see it from my computer so I can admire it. When I waled into the store this one was screaming "buy me buy me" I got a great deal.
I got the Professional HD model that is 475 watts and is a Costco/Sam's Club exclusive. It is a bowl lift model and 5 quarts and has the spiral dough hook I paid $200 for it as it was a display model. Works beautifully. I already have the shortbread I made the minute I walked in the door with it, cooling on their racks. I don't know how I lived without one for so long.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #18 of 20

I just got the 5 quart Artisan and I love it...but I only bake for family/friends. If you bake for a living, I would go with the largest you can afford. My biggest problem was deciding on the color (I ended up with black but truly desire the red).

I know your pain about the hand mixers. I too was having a hard time but mine was from holding the mixer while mixing a stiff recipe for 10 minutes. My arms were hurting so much but I didn't want to spend the money to get a KitchenAid. The breaking point came when I was making something very stiff and had to sit on the floor and use my knees as a support for my arms. My DH came home for lunch and saw how pathetic I looked. OMG he said, go get the KitchenAid!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 6 Mar 2010 , 5:33am
post #19 of 20

I dont know what kind, it's my mom's from the 60's! Still goin' strong!!

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #20 of 20

I just got a 6qt. Professional at Amazondotcom for just 328.00!! plus 40.00 rebate!! the bowl it's bigger than the ones at kohl's!!!?? now I have a 5qt and the 6qt. Kitchenaid, I love them!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%