Cutting Foam Boards - What Tool Do You Use For Smooth Edges?

Decorating By djs328 Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 4:15am by cakesrock

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 15

I've used the foam boards before to cut my own cake boards, but the edges are always so rough and jagged. What do you use to cut your boards? A knife? what type?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 15

i use this tool cut my foam core boards and it works great! even better when you use your michael's coupon.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=gc0421

then i use a piece of super fine sandpaper to make the edges even smoother. hth!

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 15

This is great info! I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the answer! icon_smile.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks! I'm going to check into that tool. So handy that my 50% coupon starts tomorrow!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 15

thumbs_up.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 15

I use one like the one pictured below. There's a fine wire running between the two ends prongs. It heats up and you just slice through foam.

They're usually found in hobby stores that carry supplies for model train enthusiasts as they use it to carve foam to make mountains and things around their train set-ups. Along those lines, it's handy for carving foam for cake dummies to get unusual shapes, or to do initial rough carving if you make non-edible foam figures or things that you cover in gumpaste but need to be light.
LL

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 15

I use an Exacto knife to cut foam core board. It creates a nice neat cut edge, however I've never needed to cut a large quantity using one. It would be a bit slow and tediuous to cut a "supply" of cake boards this way.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 15

I use an SPS plate as a guide. The little 'peg' holds in place and you can run your exacto knife around the edge. Hope that makes sense. Cutting out foamboard sucks. icon_cry.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 15

Great info! Thank you! I think I'm heading to Michael's today... icon_wink.gif
(coupon in hand!)

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 15

I use an exacto knife too. I lay the board flat and use a ruler & the exacto to score the board (just a shallow cut), then I stand the board on end, place the exacto blade in the scored groove at the top of the board and cut downward, and I almost always get a perfectly smooth edge.

When I used to try to cut through the board with it sitting flat, I always got an uneven edge, but with this method, it comes out smooth every time. It works best with straight edges, but I do use it for circles too.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #11 of 15

Exacto knife here too. I can always tell when it's time to change the blade because it will start to pull the foam and get really hard to use. That's usually when the profanity starts flowing from my mouth too. icon_wink.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 15

I hope you all lay that foam core on a piece of rubber shelf liner so it doesn't slide while you are using the Exacto knife. eeeek!!!!

hp6472 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hp6472 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #13 of 15

The X-ACTO FOAM BOARD CUTTER works pretty good. It is not exactly for just foam, but it somehow does work pretty well.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 15

TA DA...... here is the best tool ever............. an electric knife..
........ You're going to thank me for this bit of information.........
icon_biggrin.gif
You younger folks might not have one of these.. visit your local thrift shops.. you will find one.... and cheap too...
icon_biggrin.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

TA DA...... here is the best tool ever............. an electric knife..
........ You're going to thank me for this bit of information.........
icon_biggrin.gif
You younger folks might not have one of these.. visit your local thrift shops.. you will find one.... and cheap too...
icon_biggrin.gif

GREAT IDEA!!!!
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%