Weird Request From Caterer

Decorating By mim1106 Updated 26 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm by mim1106

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 16

I am making my friends wedding and grooms cake to save her money. She told this to her caterer, who also does cakes, and the caterer told her she needed to put my name in a frame and set it on the cake table because she knows everyone is going to ask her if she made the cake (the caterer) and she wants to make sure I get all the credit.

I am not stupid, I read CC all the time, LOL. She wants to make sure if it is a hot mess that she doesn't get the blame. Is this not super tacky? Why would MY name be in a frame on the cake table?

I am not a business, nor do I want any. Is this normal for someone's name to be in a frame by the cake? That sounds dumb to me, and I would think would be really out of place. We aren't going to do it.

15 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 16

It does sound like the caterer is trying to put a disclaimer on the cake in case it is a disaster. I would blow off that request too if I were the bride. Everyone will be talking about the cake either way and they'll know that you made it.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 16

mim1106, I think you're absolutely right that the caterer wants to make sure that if there's blame to be had that it goes to the correct person! I just recently married myself on New Year's Eve and my partner and I did my wedding cake and a groom's cake. What I did was had a thank you note that listed all of our vendors in a frame sitting out at the reception. This did include my partner and my business and also included my sister-in-law who did the flowers, the limo company, the wedding coordinator, venue, etc. I didn't think that was tacky. Might look a little strange if only one thing were listed though.

mim1106 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 16

Yeah, CWIL, I have seen that before - where they list them. Just thought it was weird to frame my name and put it on the table, that's all. Maybe if I was trying to drum up business I would feel differently, but I am just doing this for a friend.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 16

It makes sense to me from the caterer's POV. If people know thst she usually does the cake when she does the food, she wants to make sure that she doesn't get credit (or blame) for something that she didn't make... she doens' tknow anything about you or your cakes, so how does she know if you're any better than a grocery chain? and you can bet that she either 1. wouldn't allow that (in contract) or 2 would make darn sure that credit was gien where it was due.

I think the bride should check to make sure that the caterer isn't doing her any favors in not requiring he ro get the cake from her in addition to the food, as a first step. If she's makig an exception, I think the bride should graciously thank her and deal with a small frame (think the wallet-sized photo frames that are often given as favors) saying "Cake provided by Mim1106." I don't see the big deal.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 16

If the caterer is insisting, maybe have a nice card, from you, to the couple, enjoy my cake type message in it.
Could b done in a photo frame too, but a card is more like what you would do, as their friend.
xx

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 16

just to be snarky:

"This AMAZING creation was created by XXXX and NOT by XX Catering Company.

XX Catering company requested that guests be informed that a cake of this magnitude could not possibly have been created by them"

Hand it to the caterer and see if she posts it!

(all kidding aside, it is a bit weird)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 16

I don't think its so bad...why not a small business card holder with your cards? I would think it would be a GOOD thing for you! I always figure that just because I make a wedding cake for 200 ppl doesn't mean all 200 even have any clue who I am. Actually most probably never care enough to ask the bride who I am...I think the opportunity to put a sign or business cards by the cake, by request of the caterer and/or bride, is great! Wish all weddings were like that. haha.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 16

Hey mim106, I just took a look at some of your cake pics and they look darn good. I agree with brincess_b's idea, nice little touch and you get the credit!

mim1106 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

just to be snarky:

"This AMAZING creation was created by XXXX and NOT by XX Catering Company.

XX Catering company requested that guests be informed that a cake of this magnitude could not possibly have been created by them"

Hand it to the caterer and see if she posts it!

(all kidding aside, it is a bit weird)

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif that is too funny.

Kitagrl, I don't have business cards...I don't want any orders from this. Just trying to help out a friend.

ThreeD - really? It wouldn't look bad? I am seriously asking because I have never seen this done before. If I saw this at a wedding I would think, wow, can't the bride have her day without the baker trying to advertise? I do understand that the caterer doesn't want her name on it, I read CC enough to know that. but I thought that was more bringing in another cake (grooms) when a different baker already did the wedding cake.

ChristieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieC Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 16

My sister in law had to do this as well when she got married. Originally I wasn't making the grooms cake. She had her wedding at a plantation in Conroe which made the food and wedding cake. She hired another lady in the area to make the grooms cake since the plantation wouldn't and she didn't want me to have to make it and then drive two hours with it with us being in the wedding as well. The lady she hired had to cancel because the wedding was right after huricane IKE and she didn't have electricity back yet by the time the wedding came around so I ended up making it.The owners of the venue said they would not want people thinking that they made it it case it there was an issue with it.Everyone was raving about my cake and hardly any of the wedding cake was consumed! the owner of the venue asked me later if I would be willing to provid cakes to them. I told them that I was only a hobby baker and I lived too far away to make it worth my while!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 16

As a caterer, I did weddings all the time that had other cakes and never felt the need to display the other person's name. When I was cutting the cake, lots of people may comment on how good it is or how pretty it is, and I always made sure to tell them, "As much as I'd love to take credit for this beautiful creation, I can't. I'll be sure to let the baker know how much you liked it!"

It's not all that uncommon for the food to come from one person and the cake from somewhere else. If you were providing a food item, like appetizers or something, I can see the concern.

But cake? 2 different sources are done all the time.

Its interesting that we have someone wanting you to put your name on the table, yet I can recall numerous threads on here in which CC'ers think its just tacky to put a small business card on the cake table. An interesting study in human behavior! icon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:41pm
post #13 of 16

Tell the caterer that if she's the one concerned people know who made what, she should be the one putting little frames by her food...

"meatballs made by Ethel Thayer Catering"
"Ketchup supplied by ..."
"Potatoes mashed by..."

ooh, I'm ornery tonight!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 16

I don't really see any difference in the caterer asking for this and those of us who don't want to do a wedding cake if someone else is providing the groom's cake or vice versa. Possibly, she may be concerned about the liability issue since you are not a licensed baker.

Susan

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 16

I do a lot of work in gumpaste, and I did have one request that a descritpion of the work on the cake be put near it so people could read about all the "details" of the cake. (The client was very proud of the fact that the flowers and decor were all handmade and edible....and wanted her guests to know!) It really wasn't tacky at all, in a pretty frame setting close by. Could you do something along that line?

mim1106 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Tell the caterer that if she's the one concerned people know who made what, she should be the one putting little frames by her food...

"meatballs made by Ethel Thayer Catering"
"Ketchup supplied by ..."
"Potatoes mashed by..."

ooh, I'm ornery tonight!

LOL!!!!

thanks for the compliment, CWIL!
Why would she be concerned about the liability of my cake when she didn't make it? Putting my name in a frame isn't going to change the fact that she didn't make it. No one will come after her, regardless. I'm not a licensed baker, and I don't portray myself to be. Just doing a favor. I don't know. Like Indy said, cake and catering come from different sources all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%