Help! Broken Cake Layer - Fix Or Rebake??

Decorating By bates123 Updated 29 Jun 2014 , 7:43pm by MimiFix

bates123 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 12

I'm new to this...please help! One of my 10" layers just broke in half while I was getting it out of the pan! Do I really have to start all over or can I salvage it? HELP?

11 replies
goodiegoddess Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 3:40am
post #2 of 12

I would wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge /freezer until firm. I would use this for the bottom layer and tort while cold.

Hope this helps. Dont know if anyone has any better ideas.

ninatat Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 12

also try parchment paper for the bottom of your cake pans and i crisco the side's works the best for me. i think bottom to.

Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 12

Just "glue" it together with icing. It will be fine. I bake my 20 and 22 inch half rounds and glue them together - this is just like doing that. Is this going to be part of a stacked cake?? (if so, make sure the supports do not go where the crack in the cake is)

bates123 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:04am
post #5 of 12

This is actually the first time a cake has ever broken on me. I usually just crisco then flour both the sides and bottom and it works out fine, but I'll try the parchment paper. thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if usine the glue it together approach makes the cake weird when it's sliced? I appreciate the advice. I panicked and went ahead an baked another cake anyway. I'll try the techniques if it happens again. You guys are so great!

bcake1960 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:24am
post #6 of 12

Try this pan Grease recipe.. I love it cakes come out beautiful.. and it saves time and mess greasing and flouring the pans..

1 part shortning
1part oil
1 part flour
mix in mixer until smooth.. and put in container.. brush on pans with brush.. you will love it!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif [/b]

noahsmummy Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:32am
post #7 of 12

if mine break.. i just glue them with b/c. =)

but they have never ever broken when using greeased paper.. that stuffs brill. =)

TatianaS Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 12

ANever had such problem before but today my sheet cake got ripped from both long sides. I put pieces back into cake if you can see on my pics. What should I do? Do I need to rebake it or it is ok like that? It is 11x15 sheet cake which I will frost with SMBC and cover with fondant. Please help.[ATTACHMENT=1777]image.jpg (262k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

TatianaS Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 12

AHELP please!

mermaidcakery Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 12

AAre you torting it? All the above advice suggests just gluing it back together with some icing. I just bake for family, so I would glue it in, but it's really up to you.

TatianaS Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 12

AThanks mermaidcakery. It is single layer sheet cake and it is for a baby shower. I think I panicked too much. Now I am calm and can think straight :) I am just gonna rebake it tonight. I just don't want to disappoint my friend in case if anybody will notice too much frosting with crumbs abound edges of cake. Now I know to do not try new brand of nonstick spray on cakes for somebody else.

MimiFix Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 12

Patching cakes together is common practice in bakeries. No one will notice, they'll all be too busy eating and admiring that gorgeous cake! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%