I Need To Know...almond Extract & Allergies?

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm by sadsmile

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 13

Will Almond extract aggravate allergies in someone who has a nut allergy?

12 replies
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 13

I am severely nut allergic and would not eat anything with almond extract in it.

My nephew vomits immediately after accidentally ingesting almond extract. I would not advise serving it to a nut allergic person.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 13

You have to read the lable &/or call the maker.
Some people on here and other sites say yes; I've never had a problem w/it & yes I'm suppose to be allergic to some tree nuts.

Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 13

thanks to you both...that helps soooo much. I was going to do a WASC cake for my sons school but I will leave the almond out.

tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 13

Good idea!! Especially when it comes to kids. Not sure what's up with this generation, but there seems to be lots of really allergic kids (like could have a reaction from the tiniest amount). Back in the 70's and 80's, I was the only one!

Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

Good idea!! Especially when it comes to kids. Not sure what's up with this generation, but there seems to be lots of really allergic kids (like could have a reaction from the tiniest amount). Back in the 70's and 80's, I was the only one!

I know right...my kids are allergic to milk...I was like WHAT? Didn't even know that was possible.

tsal Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 13

Ugh!! Mine were allergic as newborns (I was on a crazy elimination diet because I was breastfeeding) but they outgrew it. There's a good chance of outgrowing that particular allergy so hopefully it will only be a temporary issue for your family.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 13

I have a tree nut allergy. I use vanilla in the recipe instead and it's delicious! Honestly, even before I developed the allergy I never cared for almond extract. The flavor just always seemed artificial to me.

Jodie

Rachie204 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 13

jodie...I actually don't like the almond either....but most people who have had my cake with it in it love it. Just not my thing...lol. Looking forward to using the vanilla.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 13

I love almond extract - DH is allergic to almonds (not peanuts!) but he is fine with the artificial almond so we both win. It may be worth looking into before trying it with a school though.

JodieF Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 13

When you find out the ingredients of some almond extract, it's made from peach or apricot pits. That's why some folks think it's safe for people with tree nut allergies. However, if you're sensitive, the compounds in those are basically bioidentical to the conpounds released by almonds.

Artificial almond extract would be safe, but honestly, I wouldn't eat it, even if you told me it was in your cake. If I smelled almonds I'd stay away. For that matter I really don't eat many baked goods that I didn't make.

Jodie

JodieF Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 13

I'm not allergic to peanuts either, but then peanuts aren't nuts...they're legumes. So, you can be allergic to tree nuts and eat peanuts. Or you can be allergic to peanuts and tree nuts aren't an issue.

Jodie

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:24pm
post #13 of 13

Unless they are manufactured together because the oil travels via air born contamination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%