Do Most Of You...

Decorating By lil_baker_13 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm by cakesdivine

lil_baker_13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lil_baker_13 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 11

Do the crazy sculpted cakes that you see on Ace of Cakes and Cake Boss or do you do simplar cakes like regular stacked. With these shows it seems like there are mostly scuplted cakes.

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 11

Most of my cakes are stacked and tiered. Some sheet cakes. Very few of mine are sculpted. It's a catch-22 for me. I need more practice on 3D, but I probably won't get any orders for them until I've got more on my website.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 11

It depends on your skill level really. Can you do really good 3-d? Do you have any/many pix of 3-d?
I wasn't that good on most 3-d. I didn't really push it. The few I did I wasn't happy with. The same for TT (crocked) cakes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 11

I do quite a few 3D ones...I'm trying to get more weddings haha. I guess people don't think "Gee if she can sculpt cake I'm sure she can do a regular round tiered one..."

Getting there!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:18am
post #5 of 11

If I could, I would do nothing but sculpted cakes! Way more fun then tiered (for me anyway). Having said that, I would say it's 50/50 for me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #6 of 11

I don't do any sculpted cakes. Not my thing and I'm no sculptor.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:59am
post #7 of 11

I actually like doing tiered cakes better...but I had been dabbling around in sculpted cakes before all the tv shows started about cakes...so I had more in my portfolio of sculpted and "weird" cakes than "normal" cakes...so working on balancing out things.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:07am
post #8 of 11

It seems that because of these shows, I get more requests for 3d cakes. I like them because they are fun and challenging. I get tired of the same old cakes

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:27am
post #9 of 11

well, i do more tiered cakes bc 3d ones cost more. but for some reason i can just do a 3d w/no notes, just always works out for me. my tiered cakes give me more of a hassle...go figure..

but i'm really loving wedding cakes right now. kinda a new thing for me. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 11

i definitely do a LOT more sheet cakes than anything (because I do cakes for our local party store and we don't have a wal-mart within 20 miles, so they figure this is what they can get I think)..........I do my share of tiered birthday, wedding, topsy turvy cakes too. I will do 3-D cakes as well, and love the challenge but I find most people don't want to pay what I charge in my area......and that's ok too, cuz they're a LOT of work1

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 11

I get alot of requests and I do sculpted cakes really well, BUT once they hear the price they tend to change their minds on the design icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%