Ultimate Cake Off From Last Night

Lounge By MBHazel Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 4:07am by mkolmar

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 22

Hi,

Did anyone (I's sure) see the episode last night? My TV was acting up and I didn't get to watch it.

How was it and who Won?

21 replies
kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 22

I did see it, and I am sorry, other than Bob, I don't know the other two ladies that competed. The younger lady won. She said she was new in the field. They all had great things going for them, on all of their cakes. Hard to say which was best. I really wanted Bob to win, just for the reason that it was 'his turn' to win. He seems like such a nice guy!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 22

Don't read this post if you recorded this episode and want to be surprised!! Beth Ayala won - a cute, perky new-comer. Kathy Scott did an amazing job, but she burned her hand badly (several fingers) with hot sugar kinda early in the competition. She put some kind of ointment on the burns, pulled on a glove and went right back to work icon_eek.gif . All three cakes were pretty amazing by my standards.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 22

I think what hurt Kathy was the size of the cakes. Leigh (I think that is the judge name) told her to go bigger than 9" cakes, but Kathy kept it that size. I thought the details on Kathy's cake was truly amazing. I felt bad for the guy when his cake began to split. I just wish they would at least let the assitants state their name!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 22

I wish they would introduce the entire team, too! I'm sure that competitors arrive with basic ideas and a certain amount (and size) of product to execute those ideas. There probably weren't any larger cakes that Kathy could have used. I was holding my breath for Bob when that split started - I'm so glad it didn't get too much worse. And, yes - Leigh seems to be the Simon Cowell of the judges icon_lol.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks everyone for the update. Hope they repeat it soon.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 22

The teams do come to the show with cakes already baked so unless they had extras of another size for some reason, there is no way Kathy Scott could have made the cakes bigger. ( and the judges know this, but of course they have to make for interesting tv) She's a trooper for sure after being burned and continuing on. I've been burned severely before on my hand and the pain is excruiating!!

I love to watch the show! The episode I got to be on will be aired March 15th.

KimAZ

BigBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBob Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #8 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you everyone that rooted for me !!! Yes that was bad for them to say that about Kathy knowing we only bring cake for our tentive design. Even with driving out with almost 500 lbs of cake I couldn't have made it bigger LOL She was my hero as bad as the burn was she kept on going icon_eek.gif They also failed to show that in our 15 min fix we had repair the crack on the side of the stand up base Oh Well that's reality TV
Thanks again and if I could figure out how to post pictures I would share some (computer challenged)

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #9 of 22

Bob,
I was soooo cheering for you!! I loved your cake. I know it's just TV but I loved that you put designs on the back of the cake as they usually complain about the back being bare...and then during the judge's discussion it was mentioned that "He put stuff at the back that you can't even see,like the base and that cute little box." I thought too funny, you can't have it both ways. Your design was awesome and would definately feed all those hungry kids..that was a lot of cake.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #10 of 22

Bob, I watched the episode last night and was rooting for you to win. I think your cake was fantastic!! icon_biggrin.gif

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #11 of 22

Bob, I watched the episode last night and was rooting for you to win. I think your cake was fantastic!! icon_biggrin.gif

BigBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigBob Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #12 of 22

Yes I did laugh at that comment about putting that stuff up front If I would have you wouldn't have seen everything else the base alone was 5ft Who can guess what they are looking for if that was the worst I fared pretty good icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

Bob,
I know it's just TV but I loved that you put designs on the back of the cake as they usually complain about the back being bare...and then during the judge's discussion it was mentioned that "He put stuff at the back that you can't even see,like the base and that cute little box."

I thought this was hysterical, too! How many times have judges complained about a cake not being 360? And then when he goes the extra mile to make it that way, they complain.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #14 of 22

I often wonder how much of the "critique" is just for show. Sometimes I think it's a little picky. To me, all the cakes were ultimate cakes from my perspective. I'm so fascinated how contestants use the intricate cake supports on these fantasic cakes!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:08am
post #15 of 22

I missed it, and now Im anxiouse to see it.

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I often wonder how much of the "critique" is just for show. Sometimes I think it's a little picky. To me, all the cakes were ultimate cakes from my perspective. I'm so fascinated how contestants use the intricate cake supports on these fantasic cakes!

I know those structures are insane..especially Bob's..that was crazy.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

The teams do come to the show with cakes already baked so unless they had extras of another size for some reason, there is no way Kathy Scott could have made the cakes bigger. ( and the judges know this, but of course they have to make for interesting tv) She's a trooper for sure after being burned and continuing on. I've been burned severely before on my hand and the pain is excruiating!!

I love to watch the show! The episode I got to be on will be aired March 15th.

KimAZ

I have marked that on my calender!! Cannot wait to see you do your magic.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:24am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

Bob,
I know it's just TV but I loved that you put designs on the back of the cake as they usually complain about the back being bare...and then during the judge's discussion it was mentioned that "He put stuff at the back that you can't even see,like the base and that cute little box."

I thought this was hysterical, too! How many times have judges complained about a cake not being 360? And then when he goes the extra mile to make it that way, they complain.

I noticed this too. Anyway Bob..your cake was fantastic!! Sorry that ya didn't win.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #19 of 22

I thought your cake was great too Bob. It hit everything on the head and would have been loved by 16 year olds.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #20 of 22

I think you were all winners...............Bob I could have cried when that base cracked..............geeze....I loved your cake....it was a real work of art!!!

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:41am
post #21 of 22

Leah = Simon Cowell for sure! That is exactly what I have said!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #22 of 22

I saw the first 2/3 of the show and then fell asleep on the couch because I'm sick. I was so mad at myself.
I think all 3 were real troopers to be put in that kind of huge challenge and then expected to pull out all the stops in that amount of time. I'd still be there icing my 1st tier.

*I've burned my hand on sugar before....yowza!, one of the reasons I try to avoid sugar work.

Great job Bob, I didn't see your cake fully assembled but it looked great before I fell asleep. Can't wait to watch the full episode and see it all done up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%