Cake Making Price?

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm by Postal_Cakemaker

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:34am
post #1 of 25

Just a quick one to see how different prices are here and in the US. I am just wondering how much it costs to make a cake just plain iced with board and box for example a 10" square. In the UK I have costed it out to about £17 just wondering how much this would work out in the US
Thanks

24 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 25

a 2 layer chocolate cake with buttercream, a simple board and a box would cost me about $8 in the US to make

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 25

Wow thats about £6 in the UK a lot cheaper than here!

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 25

A 6-inch round cake torted and filled with IMBC would cost me at least $17 to make, this includes the cost of the cake box, cake circles, etc.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne1873

Wow thats about �6 in the UK a lot cheaper than here!

But that is a basic buttercream, no fruit filling, no gourmet flavors and I bake from scratch, not box so I find it is cheaper because I buy my flour, eggs, sugar etc in bulk

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 25

a 10" x4" square cake would cost me around $13 with a plain board and box and just iced w/ minimal amount of icing used in decorations.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 25

The materials-only cost of my 8" double-layer scratch yellow butter cake with basic buttercream (not IMBC/SMBC) and simple decorations, including cake board and box, is $19.50. I am not a business and do not buy in bulk, so this is based on retail prices for standard quantity premium ingredients. No overhead is included, and for the ingredients I did factor in the cost of only the portion of ingredients used in a recipe. icon_wink.gif

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:13am
post #8 of 25

this is an interesting post! I hope more contribute thumbs_up.gif

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:53am
post #9 of 25

I agree, it's a really interesting post. I really didn't know how much $$$ went into making a cake until I sat down and did the tedious computations. I'm not including the gas $ for the car to go shopping to get the supplies or the shipping costs, or the cost of gas for the oven. I bake and decorate at home as a hobby, pay retail, and I use high quality ingredients. It's eye opening to calculate the cost.

Oh, and my gas oven needs to be fixed! It's not working at 100%. It's much cheaper to fix what's needed than buying a new oven, though. I'm amazed that the cakes I've made recently have turned out well in spite of it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #10 of 25

Speaking as a hobby baker now:

2-layer, 10" square, I would use 3 or 4 cake mixes ..... $4.00
16 eggs .... $2.75
4 envelopes of dream whip ..... $4.00
oil ....... approx $0.50
double cardboards .... $1
box .....$1.25
4 lbs p.sugar ...... $4
crisco .... approx $0.75
vanilla ..... allocate $0.20

Total: $18.45

Does not include:
gas to pick up supplies,
cost of equipment needed (mixer, oven, refrigerator, pans, spatula, rubber scrapers),
cost of misc supplies (wax/parchment paper, paper towels, soap, disposable decor bags, pan grease, food safety gloves, etc),
labor expense (which varies greatly depending on the experience and talent of the decorator so my cost is arrogantly expensive! icon_biggrin.gif ),
cost of gas and time to go BACK to the store to get something I forgot the first time,
cost of buying KFC for dinner because our kitchen is tied up in baking a cake.
I don't have this as a hobby baker, but cost of insurance for delivery vehicle and liability and equipment coverage.

There's a reason I would have charged $150+ for a cake of this size (serves 50).

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #11 of 25

indydebi....you just made my night. lol. Nothing could be closer to the truth than running BACK to the store and running to the drive-thru for dinner icon_lol.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #12 of 25

ha ha ha So if you run to the drive-thru for dinner because your business ate your kitchen... is it a write off? A business expense because you are working through dinner?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

ha ha ha So if you run to the drive-thru for dinner because your business ate your kitchen... is it a write off? A business expense because you are working through dinner?

depends on how you write it up. icon_rolleyes.gif

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:37am
post #14 of 25

You girls kill me !! icon_lol.gif

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:25pm
post #15 of 25

Basic cake and frosting cost for a 4" x 10" square including board and box, but no other overhead is 58 shekels (about $16)

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm
post #16 of 25

this makes me feel so much better to know that I am not the only one that quits cooking meals when there is a cake going on in the house.
My family says that if mom has a cake to make we wont eat for days... icon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 25

10x4in square, filled & decorated only with buttercream (3 layers filling, 4 cake) with box and board = 24,89 euros ($33.85 or £21.85). Change that to a plain ganached & fondanted cake = 41,40 euros ($56.29 or £36.32).

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 25

I made an Excel spreadsheet and calculated my costs-somehow it comes out to $1 per serving for me, a hobby caker. This includes ingredients for cake mix and buttercream, some kind of filling, candy clay decorations, and boards. It might even include a few paper towels although I normally use a whole roll per cake. icon_eek.gif

This does not include shipping charges and cost of cake toys I buy on-line and at local stores. It does not include gas, electricity, and Press and Seal. It does not include the millions of hours of my time, nor the cost of drive-thru (thanks for reminding me Indy), nor the cost of the housekeeper I have come every two weeks because when I am caking I don't clean anything except my mess in the kitchen. Don't ask about my laundry....

So, $1 per serving. This is how I justify giving "just a cake" as my gift. So why do I still feel "cheap" when I do it? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Speaking as a hobby baker now:

2-layer, 10" square, I would use 3 or 4 cake mixes ..... $4.00
16 eggs .... $2.75
4 envelopes of dream whip ..... $4.00
oil ....... approx $0.50
double cardboards .... $1
box .....$1.25
4 lbs p.sugar ...... $4
crisco .... approx $0.75
vanilla ..... allocate $0.20

Total: $18.45

Does not include:
gas to pick up supplies,
cost of equipment needed (mixer, oven, refrigerator, pans, spatula, rubber scrapers),
cost of misc supplies (wax/parchment paper, paper towels, soap, disposable decor bags, pan grease, food safety gloves, etc),
labor expense (which varies greatly depending on the experience and talent of the decorator so my cost is arrogantly expensive! icon_biggrin.gif ),
cost of gas and time to go BACK to the store to get something I forgot the first time,
cost of buying KFC for dinner because our kitchen is tied up in baking a cake.
I don't have this as a hobby baker, but cost of insurance for delivery vehicle and liability and equipment coverage.

There's a reason I would have charged $150+ for a cake of this size (serves 50).

Don't forget the costs of psychotheraphy....

de_montsoreau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
de_montsoreau Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #20 of 25

kimblyd, never feel bad about such a wonderful gift!
The downside to this is, that I am EXPECTED to bring a cake as a a gift every time I am invited anywhere. I would love to go out and buy some useless nicknacks, but no... I have to bake!

A simple 10x4 sheet cake with IMBC and cake board will bring me down around 15 Euros (around 20 $) as I buy eggs cheap locally and most of the other stuff in bulk.

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #21 of 25

this may seem like a silly question, but I really don't know...when figuring how much a cake costs to make, how do you determine how much (for example) gas to run your oven for that cake costs you? Or the electricity that you use while making that cake, how much that costs? (Does that make sense?)

_luvscakes_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_luvscakes_ Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #22 of 25

I guess it depends on if you used box mixes or make it from scratch. I like to make mine from scratch, so I guess I spend about $7 or $8 at Walmart. From box mixes I would spend a dollar or two less.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyns082608

this may seem like a silly question, but I really don't know...when figuring how much a cake costs to make, how do you determine how much (for example) gas to run your oven for that cake costs you? Or the electricity that you use while making that cake, how much that costs? (Does that make sense?)

Check your utility company's website. Mine has a calculator for cost to run appliances.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #24 of 25

It would cost me close to $30 depending on whether I found some good bargains or not.

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #25 of 25

This is an awesome post!! When you break it down like this you realize how much time and effort goes into this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%