Best Way To Peel Image From Paper...

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm by icingimages

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 6

Just got my edible image printer and wanted to know the DO's andDONT'S of applying the image onto a cake?

5 replies
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

Alot depends on the brand of paper you have and the humidity / dryness. Once I know that, I can help you with the peeling.

With the application, you want to make sure that whatever you are putting it on is moist, if it isnt, you can put a damp paper towel on the cake while youare doing the image. Or you can take spray a fine mist of water on the cake. Do not put water on the image.

If you are putting it on fondant you can use water, corn syrup or crisco. The crisco and the corn syrup allow you to have a bit of time for adjustement to the image.

If you are using the Premium Icing Sheets, you can put the crisco, water and corn syrup on the back of the image before applying, but this is the ONLY brand you can do that with.

You must be careful not to get any water on the front of any image before applying. When you are placing it on the cake, you want to hold the image on the two widest points and bend it like a U. Place the center of the image in the center of where you want to place the image.

Slowey lay the icing sheet down. Once you lay it down, make sure your hands are clean and dry and smooth the image out. Make sure all ends are flat against the frosting.

Some icing sheet brands can bubble. If they do you can take a pin and pop the bubble and then press it down flat. But be careful, if the image is already merged you do not want to touch the top off the image or it can smear.

Many people like to pipe around the image once it is layed down. This helps if your image color and frosting color do not match well. You can also take the image and place it on fondant and cut around it and lay it on a cake. This makes a cool framed 3dish effect.

Enjoy! Have fun, remember the sky is the limit, if you can get it into your computer you can print it out! So use your imagination!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2my3girlz

Just got my edible image printer and wanted to know the DO's andDONT'S of applying the image onto a cake?

I've found putting the image in the freezer a few minutes makes it pop right off.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto on what Jeff said.

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

I just let mine sit out for a few minutes to dry the edges, then I twist the paper like you would an ice cube tray. It will give you a good edge to get hold of and peel the rest off. When I first tried peeling the images off, I found the sheets were too moist to take off and I ruined my first couple images trying to get it off icon_smile.gif Live and learn, right?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 6

There are icing sheet brands out there that you do not have to do any of this, you just peel them off. Our house/economy brand has this problem where you have to do something to them in order to get them off the backing. But Premium and Lucks you should be able to peel them right off

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%