What Is The Key To No Bulge..and Not The Waistline..:)

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 12:06am by jammjenks

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 5

I did a 3D Crown cake and am still doing the final touches on it..I am quite disappointed as the fondant is slightly buldging on the bottom icon_cry.gif .I can hide most of it with trim but it really makes me mad icon_mad.gif ..I crumbcoated and let it sit over night to settle...there is still bulges so I ask..What is the secret..I have yet to see a buldge on any of buddy's cakes icon_rolleyes.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

4 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 5

I assume you mean the buldge between the layers?? I have learned the hard way that I build a BIG, WIDE dam around it with semi thick icing and I never have the filling get very close to the edge..

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 5

Ya know as this has been asked several times but I have no clue other than daming, crumb coating, resting. I do want to share a neat lil trick I saw on a video once on youtube and I forget who it was (older lady baker with tons of experience) after covering her cakes in fondant she took a coffee straw or a very small straw and inserted into an area where she was going to be putting a flower or decoration later and left that straw in there for a few hours or overnight while the cake settled. This allowed any trapped air to get out so it prevented any bulging whatsoever. I have not tried this yet but will be when I am doing my first big wedding cake in May. I am like you I have no clue why they bulge but I'm going to give this a try on my next fondant cake. It works for her. She just inserts the straw so that is enters just past the fondant not all the way into the cake. HTH's

Chippi icon_smile.gif

PS if you try this let me know how it worked out for you icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 5

Stiff dam.
After assembling your cake, wrap in plastic and put 1 ceramic tile on top. The tile should be roughly the same as the diameter of the cake. Let rest for 2-3 hours. The weight of one ceramic tile seems to be perfect. Giving the assembled tier time to settle is key.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 5

Once I place the top layer on, I press down firmly with my hand all over the cake. Firm enough that if I applied much more pressure, I'd break the cake. Then I crumbcoat/ice. I don't wait.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%