Tips Needed On Covering A 14" Round

Decorating By 1456 Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 4:37am by terrylee

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #1 of 27

Hi every one i was wondering if any of you had any tips on covering a 14" round with fondant this is two 2" high ones stacked and fillled
I have never covered one this big and I could use any help i can get

I also was wondering if you can give me any tips on stacking and transporting a 4 teir cake

6'', 8'', 10" ,14" I know some stack on sight .

but my worry is that the top teir that is covered in fondant has no topper on it so it need to be smooth how do i put a dowel threw the cake and still mantain a smooth top
any tips or trick are great apprieatied
thank you melissa

26 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #2 of 27

Hi,

When I cover a large tier like a 14" I roll out my fondant and then roll it up onto a large rolling pin. I then hold the pin above the tier and slowly begin unrolling the fondant onto the cake.

As far as transporting a large 4 tier like you mentioned, I would deliver it in 2 sections. I'd stack the bottom 2 tiers separate from the top 2 and then finish assembling on site.

That would be a heavy cake to carry fully assembled.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 27

If you have a 1" or more diameter by 30" dowel or plastic pipe it is easier to transfer the fondant onto a large cake.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1456

Hi every one i was wondering if any of you had any tips on covering a 14" round with fondant this is two 2" high ones stacked and fillled
I have never covered one this big and I could use any help i can get

I also was wondering if you can give me any tips on stacking and transporting a 4 teir cake

6'', 8'', 10" ,14" I know some stack on sight .

but my worry is that the top teir that is covered in fondant has no topper on it so it need to be smooth how do i put a dowel threw the cake and still mantain a smooth top
any tips or trick are great apprieatied
thank you melissa

If you do the center dowel, you can cover the hole with a bit of royal icing and smooth it flat.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 27

I have a roulpat (mat) that I roll my fondant onto. I used to just flip the mat over on top of the cake and peel the mat away. If you don't have a silicone mat, you can buy some inexpensive vinyl at the craft/fabric store and use that. Sometimes this is easier for a beginner than using the rolling pin method, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with fondant and confidence in moving it. It took a while for me to move it with the rolling pin.

If I am stacking a cake and don't want the dowel to show through the top tier, I will make a hole in the center of the cake board for the smallest tier, dowel the rest of the cake, (measure carefully) and then place the top tier on the dowel. (hope that makes sense) The hole in the center of the cake board assures that it is centered.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 27

I use the heavy vinyl mat - it is really easy to just flip it over onto the cake vs. doing the rolling pin thing. You can buy the vinyl at walmart or joanns in the fabric section. I VERY lightly grease mine with shortining before rolling the fondant out.

Deb_ Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 27

My HD just told me I can't use the vinyl from the fabric store.

I just had my license renewal and inspection and there were a few things I wanted to "add". He said no to the vinyl and to foamcore boards...not food safe he "claims".

Makes me wonder why I even bother asking this guy...he shoots down every single thing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do any of you ladies or gentlemen have any literature on this vinyl? He told me if I can prove to him that it's food safe then he'll approve it. I felt like saying....if you can prove to me that it isn't.....but I didn't.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 27

I roll it on a long rolling pin or a PVC pipe and unroll on top of the cake. Works really well.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

My HD just told me I can't use the vinyl from the fabric store.

I just had my license renewal and inspection and there were a few things I wanted to "add". He said no to the vinyl and to foamcore boards...not food safe he "claims".

Makes me wonder why I even bother asking this guy...he shoots down every single thing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do any of you ladies or gentlemen have any literature on this vinyl? He told me if I can prove to him that it's food safe then he'll approve it. I felt like saying....if you can prove to me that it isn't.....but I didn't.

You mean to say that the foam core that a lot of people use, he says is not food safe?

I dont use it, but I am in shock!.. A lot of people seem to love it!

Edna

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 27

re: the food safety

1) you can buy the Ateco blue silicone fondant mat instead of vinyl. More expensive but I like it better because it is more flexible

2) cover your fomacore boards with Press and seal....
eHTH

Deb_ Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Quote:

You mean to say that the foam core that a lot of people use, he says is not food safe?

I dont use it, but I am in shock!.. A lot of people seem to love it!

Edna

Yup. I told him that my cake would be on an actual food safe waxed circle (or whichever shape) and that I would just use it for stability. He won't approve it.

I know.....a lot of people use it. Have their HD's approved it or do they just use it and don't tell them?

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:40am
post #12 of 27

There are companies that sell foam core cake boards. I can't believe they would make and sell them if they weren't food safe.

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:40am
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavis

There are companies that sell foam core cake boards. I can't believe they would make and sell them if they weren't food safe.

I'm sure those are if they are sold as cake boards...I was referring to the ones from hobby stores that are sold in large rectangular shapes. This is what my HD won't approve.

The foam core cake boards are nice since they are sold in different sizes, but boy are they expensive.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:50am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I use the heavy vinyl mat - it is really easy to just flip it over onto the cake vs. doing the rolling pin thing. You can buy the vinyl at walmart or joanns in the fabric section. I VERY lightly grease mine with shortining before rolling the fondant out.

How do you make this happen, cause it has not worked for me. I do it Deb & Tonednas way.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #15 of 27

The mat is large....you roll the fondant out just like it would be on the counter top. You then put your hands UNDER the mat - a big one you will be using your forearms - and lift the entire mat up off the counter, take it over to the cake, turn it upside down onto the top of the cake, and peel the mat off the fondant. Works perfectly, no stretching the fondant out of shape, no messing with rolling it over the rolling pin. What WAS the bottom side of the fondant while you are rolling it out is the TOP side when it is on the cake. It makes a flawless piece of fondant, IMO. And much easier for a beginner to do than the rolling pin thing.

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:

How do you make this happen, cause it has not worked for me. I do it Deb & Tonednas way.

I know I think if you've started doing it with the rolling pin like we did then it's tricky to learn the other way. I'm short and have short arms so I know it would be challenging for me. (Plus my aim is terrible, I probably wouldn't get it centered. lol)

I've always done the rolling pin method, even with pie crust so it's simple for me, but I could see how it may be tricky to a beginner.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #17 of 27

I can do it either way, I show my students both ways. They all seem to catch on to the mat method easier though. I even went to a bakery the next town over to help them learn how to use and work with fondant (they had been taught the rolling pin method) and they were so excited about learning how to use the mat - now they are not nervous about covering the cakes! (this was a new bakery - just starting out)

1456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1456 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #18 of 27

thank you everyone for all your help

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:

I can do it either way, I show my students both ways. They all seem to catch on to the mat method easier though. I even went to a bakery the next town over to help them learn how to use and work with fondant (they had been taught the rolling pin method) and they were so excited about learning how to use the mat - now they are not nervous about covering the cakes! (this was a new bakery - just starting out)

ok if you're ever in Massachusetts..... icon_razz.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 27

Okay, thanks Loucinda.

Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #21 of 27

You're welcome! Hey, if I ever get that way again, I may stop in. icon_wink.gif The only time I was in Mass. was on our way to Maine, and I thought the whole state was a traffic jam! icon_eek.gificon_wink.gif (we don't have that kinda traffic here in Ohio!) icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #22 of 27

Oh up near Boston is horrific traffic.....but I live in the "boonies" on a nice country road with horses across the street. I promise no traffic and I'll have the coffee/tea on for ya! icon_wink.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #23 of 27

If youtell him that you are covering it with either wax or press and seal, you think he would let you use it?
Edna icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #24 of 27

Good point Edna, I'm always so nervous during the inspection process that I didn't even think of that.

I hate to push them....I feel so fortunate to be able to do this from home that I don't want to stir up anything that could hold up my renewal.

tonedna Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #25 of 27
Quote:

Good point Edna, I'm always so nervous during the inspection process that I didn't even think of that.

I hate to push them....I feel so fortunate to be able to do this from home that I don't want to stir up anything that could hold up my renewal.

Well..just tell them that!..I know that I cover my cardboards with wax paper. I dont see why not the foam core. Plus you dont loose anything by asking ..right?
Edna icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:17am
post #26 of 27
Quote:

I used the vinyl mat today for the first time. I am hooked!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:37am
post #27 of 27

I have a 3" diamater PVC pipe about 2" long....I washed it and covered it with foil. Works like a charm, never any fold marks, light and easy to handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%