Lounge By indydebi Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 11:44pm by poohsmomma

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #31 of 220

Prayers sent!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #32 of 220

Pulling for your sister Debi! She's in my prayers.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #33 of 220

Debi, I am thinking of you and your sister. Its Friday night hear on the east coast, I hope today went as well as could be expected and your sister is resting and recuperating right now.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #34 of 220

Hi Debi,

Any news on CJ's surgery yet....I've been thinking about her all day.

Praying everything went smoothly and that she's resting comfortably.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:06am
post #35 of 220

Just got an update about 20 minutes ago. Surgery only took a couple of hours. It was removed "clean" and went well. Tumor sent to lab and they will get results in about a week. She will be in recovery tonight and moved to a regular room tomorrow, with plans to go home on Monday. She will need some post-surgery therapy, but I've no idea what that may entail right now.

I spoke to Julia, daughter-in-law, and found out the hospital has an on-site hotel for family members. CJ's husband, son, and DIL have a nice, comfy place to stay tonight; they dont' even have to leave the hospital and with this snowstorm, that is a big relief, too. (They live on the Ohio state line .... a 60-90 minute drive in GOOD weather .... although they had beds ready and waiting for them at my house and at my son's and daughter's houses!)

Thanks to all for thoughts and support ..... I totally believe the power of prayer helped all get thru this and I am VERY grateful to all of you.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:18am
post #36 of 220

That's wonderful news, keeping my fingers crossed, that the rest of the way is as smooth, as your cakes were

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:42am
post #37 of 220

That's great to hear. I'll keep praying.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #38 of 220

Wonderful news Debi....I too will keep praying that her recovery is smooth and that the test results are negative.

Try and get some rest this weekend, I know you have a lot on your plate right now with school and your new job.

We're all thinking about you!

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #39 of 220

Spoke to my BIL. She is aware of her surroundings, can answer basic questions and follow commands ("Lift arm ... lift leg"). On lots of meds, very sleepy still ..... and oh yeah, has this little headache thing going for her! icon_biggrin.gif

And small world of small worlds! Our own CC'er CakeRN (who is kinda related but not .... we are aunt-in-laws .... we share nephews but on different sides of the family! I'm the aunt on their mom's side .... she's the aunt from their dad's side! icon_biggrin.gif ) is the nurse who actually admitted CJ to the ICU last night! I spoke to CakeRN on the phone a few minutes ago, who is going to pop in and see CJ & introduce herself.

I'm always saying CC is just one big family, and it's SO nice to have "family" keeping an eye on my sis for me! thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #40 of 220

Just found this...you and your whole family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:55am
post #41 of 220

yep it's a really freaking small world. I mean we have over 30 NEURO ICU beds on my unit so what are the odds with over 20 Stafff RN's that I would be the one to admit her....!! icon_lol.gif She has your sense of humor and when i went into her room tonight ( she was still in ICU when I came on) I said..." so I understand you go by the name of Aunt Weiner!" and she said " Oh God...how did you find that out. When I explained how we were related in a round about way she acutally understood but her husband didn't...lol. She is out of the ICU now an in a regular room.
She told me to tell you when I saw you just how IMPORTANT she is...She is SO IMPORTANT that they cancelled church on Sunday just because of her....
You and her are two pea's in a pod!!!

indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:28am
post #42 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

She told me to tell you when I saw you just how IMPORTANT she is...She is SO IMPORTANT that they cancelled church on Sunday just because of her....
You and her are two pea's in a pod!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Yeah! I'm sure the 8" of snow and the level 3 emergency issued by the sheriff's dept had NOTHING to do with it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:33pm
post #43 of 220

Nice to read that she hasn't lost her sense of humour. Always a good sign, when the patients are able to joke.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #44 of 220

So, so happy to read these encouraging posts, and how awesome is God that He sent CakeRN for just that little extra bit of comfort and support! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the updates...

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #45 of 220

Debi, I just read this post for the first time this morning. I am so glad you sister is doing well. My sister is also my best friend so I totally understand what you must be feeling. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #46 of 220

I signed on just now to find out about your sister, hoping for an update. I am so glad things we as smoothly as possible! Headache? geeze louise..I'm sure...Ask for more drugs.. icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #47 of 220

I'm so happy to hear everything went well. I just read this. I am sending strength & prayers your way.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:19pm
post #48 of 220

I too just found this thread - I am so glad that you sister is doing so great, that the surgeons were so confident and positive in their diagnosis and ability; and that another fellow cc'er was there to admit and visit with your sister! And how great that she was moved to your town for hospitalization! God is great!!

I hope you sister continues to improve as rapidly as she as so far!! Thinking of you Debi and your family and sending prayers your way!

Suze

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #49 of 220

I just found this, too, Debi, and was very happy to hear things are moving in such a positive direction! It's a terrifying experience. (Went through it recently with a very dear friend of mine.) So your sister and loved ones are in my prayers!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #50 of 220

Wow...I feel like a jerk...I just saw this. I know how scary this whole thing is for you. I am so glad your sister made it through the surgery okay. I will be praying for her and your family from here on out. Please keep us updated....

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:47am
post #51 of 220

I saw her Sunday. Face a bit swollen, understandably. She's on soup and jello because her face muscles are bruised and the muscles have to "remember" where they are supposed to be and what they are suppose to do, so it's hard for her to move her mouth. She has 14 metal staples in her head and she said "they hurt". She was trying to hold an ice pack (or a 'warm' pack?) to her head and we told her if we could find a big magnet, it would stay on! icon_lol.gif Last update is she is walking around a bit on her own. She can remember and function ok.

It was odd that she told me, "It really hit me today .... wow, I had BRAIN SURGERY!" It's like it just became real to her. I'm guessing because she was feeling just fine before hand. The only "symptom" she had was the passing out at work. After that, she felt like, "Why am I in the hospital....I feel fine." Well, she doesnt' feel fine anymore. icon_smile.gif

Her son who is in basic training was contacted and he was permitted a phone call to his dad after the surgery, so he's all filled in. His dad (sis's hubby) told me that son seemed very calm and seemed to take everything ok, "...but he only had a couple of minutes to talk, so it was "just the facts, ma'am" type of call."

A silly thing to ask her about was her hair. I knew not being able to wash her hair would drive her insane, but she said they gave her some kind of waterless shampoo that she could use. her blood sugar is doing great and is getting back down to normal. They didn't shave near as much hair as I thought they would ... she actually looks like one of those older ladies who has a receding hairline right where the part in her hair is. If it never grows out, it's really workable for her. (silly things ... but important!)

I never would have believed something like this could go so fast (from passing out to going home after surgery was all within 5 days!) and that she'd be doing so well. It's been an education.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:52am
post #52 of 220

Wonderful, wonderful news. Let her know she has people praying for her.

Mike

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:37am
post #53 of 220

Oh, Debi, so very glad to hear how well everything is going for y'all.
As Mike said, please let her know how many of your CC family continue to wish her well.

Kathy

JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:02pm
post #54 of 220

That's great news! Her frame of mind will definitely help in her recovery.

Her hair should grow back fine. Most likely the only part that will be effected is exactly where the scar is and not where they shaved. Hey I can vouch for having 7 staples in my head and having it shaved from an accident. Tell her this though, the staples DO NOT hurt when they come out. Real stitches DO hurt. I had staples and stitches in my head at the same time, something about the way my scalp was torn couldn't do all staples. Anyway, the doc told me the staples wouldn't hurt coming out but the stitches might, I didn't believe him, but he was right. The reason is that skin actually attaches to the stitches sometimes but never the metal staples and it's numb where the scar is, mine is still numb. Oh one funny thing, when my patch of hair grew back.....it was CURLY, in my bone straight hair (at the time but now as I age my hair is getting wavy, go figure).

I'm sending warm thoughts for the speediest of recoveries!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #55 of 220

Just found this thread and I'm so happy for you Debi that things turned out so well. Hopeful thoughts and prayers are sent to you and yours.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #56 of 220

Debi, I'm so glad to hear she is doing well. thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Oh one funny thing, when my patch of hair grew back.....it was CURLY, in my bone straight hair (at the time but now as I age my hair is getting wavy, go figure).

Last year my grandma was having a horrible allergic reaction to something and it took us months to get it cleared up. During it her hair had started to thin. Now she has black hairs growing in to replace some of the hairs she had lost. She was orginally dark haired but that was before my time.

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #57 of 220
Quote:

Tell her this though, the staples DO NOT hurt when they come out. Real stitches DO hurt.

Wow, I also would have thought the opposite to be true! Sending an email to my BIL right now to let him/them know this! Thanks SO much!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:39pm
post #58 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Tell her this though, the staples DO NOT hurt when they come out. Real stitches DO hurt.

Wow, I also would have thought the opposite to be true! Sending an email to my BIL right now to let him/them know this! Thanks SO much!

I disagree, staples are miserable. I've had both hips replaced, stitches on one staples on the other. I'll take stitches ten times over.

Mike

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #59 of 220

Ah geesh, MIke, now you're gonna make me look bad! Oh well .... she'll spend 10 minutes thinking I'm a duma$$ (which is nowhere near the record!) icon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:51pm
post #60 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I disagree, staples are miserable. I've had both hips replaced, stitches on one staples on the other. I'll take stitches ten times over.

Mike

No, no I am talking about the REMOVAL of them. It doesn't hurt. I prefer the stitches too for the long haul but removing them is much more painful, they stick and blood gets dried on them and skin grows to them so when they are pulled out they really PULL. The staples Do NOT hurt when removed, you can't even feel them. I thought the exact opposite too Indy, but after having both in the SAME place, on my scalp, the Dr. Was correct. Also my friend had a tummy tuck and had 122 staples (sorry doc should have done internal stitches) but she said the same thing, no pain in the removal, but they aren't as comfortable to have in you from the get go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%