My Sister Is Facing Brain Surgery

Lounge By indydebi Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 11:44pm by poohsmomma

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:46pm
post #121 of 220

Always expect a miracle! Thanks for the update Debi and I'll keep praying for God's blessings in your family's lives!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 7:04pm
post #122 of 220

Debi, I am so sorry you family is going through this, my thoughts are with you. How wonderful for your sister and her son that she was able to go to the wedding that is priceless.

It is fantastic that her doctors are being so aggressive (although since she seems a bit like you I doubt they had choice!) and have given y'all more time together. Congratulations.

My best to your family.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 3:14pm
post #123 of 220

Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Your sister would have to be a kind person if she is anything like you. You are always so upbeat, funny, and supportive. I wish there were something I could do to help. You and your family take care. Just know that you have a lot of people thinking about you and praying for your situation. God Bless you. Keep your positive thinking cap on.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:06pm
post #124 of 220

So glad to hear that she was able to be at both weddings and that you are having the opportunity to spend time with her on a regular basis. Will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 4:20pm
post #125 of 220

I am sending good healing vibes your sister's way! A family friend was diagnosed with a mass as well and had to have it surgically removed. He made a full recovery though - so I'm wishing the same for your sister.

<<Hugs>>

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 11:49am
post #126 of 220

I'm happy to share another small victory! The medication (that is actually "frying" the 3rd tumor) is doing so well that they have changed her schedule. She doesn't have to come to Indy every two weeks for treatment .... they've pushed it out to every 3 weeks. And given a more positive outlook on the life expectancy numbers.

Treatment every 3 wks instead of 2 is such a small thing, I know, but anyone who has gone thru something like this knows what a victory that really is.

I have no doubt whatsoever that all the thoughts and prayers on her behalf definitely have a hand in it.

Thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 12:44pm
post #127 of 220

Wonderful news, Debi!!!! I know you'll miss seeing her every 2 weeks, but it's for a great reason. icon_razz.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 15 Nov 2010 , 4:54pm
post #128 of 220

Debi,
That's wonderful news! Congratulations to your family. Y'all remain in my thoughts.

JulieMN Posted 16 Nov 2010 , 12:15am
post #129 of 220

Such good news! Glad that things are going well and she is able to spend more time at home, less time in treatment!

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #130 of 220

A quick update ..... here's what I posted on my facebook today, April Fool's Day:

My sister, Cj Calvelage has the best April Fools Joke of all! 14 months ago, she was given a life expectancy of 9-14 months w/ terminal brain cancer & told "don't expect to see 14 months." Today, she is doing great & her cancer treatments pushed out from every 2 wks to every 4 wks. If this isn't a testimony to the Power of God, then I don't know what is!

JGMB Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #131 of 220

Hallelujah!!!! Thanks for the update, Debi!

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 4:09pm
post #132 of 220

Amen! To God be the glory!

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #133 of 220

Debi, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I hope that your sister and all of your family can make the most of your time together and that she has many good days. I lost my sister to cancer in 2008. It happened so fast, I still miss her terribly. Each day you get with them is a blessing. Your sister and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 4:10am
post #134 of 220

Debi...I think of and pray for your sister and your family often. This great news is such a blessing from God!!! Thank you for keeping us posted.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 5:56am
post #135 of 220

I am so happy to here your sister is doing so well. Praise God! You and your family are in my prayers.

Herekittykitty Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 4:31pm
post #136 of 220

Debbie, that is fantastic news! My thoughts continue to be with your family and I hope the good news continues.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 12:20pm
post #137 of 220

I just saw this thread for the first time. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your sister, and your family.

lenagc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenagc Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 9:50pm
post #138 of 220

I'll be praying here in Bakersfield. Keep us posted. God Bless

JulieMN Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #139 of 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A quick update ..... here's what I posted on my facebook today, April Fool's Day:

My sister, Cj Calvelage has the best April Fools Joke of all! 14 months ago, she was given a life expectancy of 9-14 months w/ terminal brain cancer & told "don't expect to see 14 months." Today, she is doing great & her cancer treatments pushed out from every 2 wks to every 4 wks. If this isn't a testimony to the Power of God, then I don't know what is!

I am so happy to hear this! My best to you all, you remain in my thoughts and prayers!

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:19am
post #140 of 220

What a difference two months can make. icon_sad.gif

They found a new, third tumor yesterday. It's small, but it's still a new tumor. They want to avoid yet a 3rd brain surgery so will be trying a new medication, in addition to the medication she is receiving now, that seemed to be working so well. this new medication will only have to be taken once but it takes literally all day to take it. (I think she said it's called gamma-knife?)

Usually, when I get "not so good news" updates from CJ, she still manages to sound very upbeat and positive. that wasn't the tone of voice I was getting from her yesterday. This has to be affecting her very hard, especially after she has been receiving positive news from her doctor over the past few months and has been doing well, all things considered.

As I mentioned in my last update, she's officially on "borrowed time" now.

gotta say .... this just sucks. icon_cry.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #141 of 220

This is such sad an dtragic news; I am so sorry. I will continue to pray for all of you.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 6:51am
post #142 of 220

Oh..... just as FYI and to share how much it really costs to stay alive with this stuff: The medication that is working so well, that she takes once a month, costs $10,000 each time (and she used to be on a twice-a-month schedule. I hate to think what this new stuff will cost.

I've very grateful she and her husband have good medical insurance coverage, but it sure makes me think about people who may need these kinds of treatments who don't have access to this (or any) kind of coverage. icon_sad.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2011 , 1:44pm
post #143 of 220
Quote:

Oh..... just as FYI and to share how much it really costs to stay alive with this stuff: The medication that is working so well, that she takes once a month, costs $10,000 each time (and she used to be on a twice-a-month schedule. I hate to think what this new stuff will cost.

I've very grateful she and her husband have good medical insurance coverage, but it sure makes me think about people who may need these kinds of treatments who don't have access to this (or any) kind of coverage. icon_sad.gif

I'm sorry about your sister's diagnosis...I hope the treatment works and she gets back on track soon. It's good that her insurance pays for the treatments!

My daughter's back surgery would have cost us $250,000 if we didn't have insurance. And when my mother was in the hospital ICU for three days it was $85,000 just for the hopsital room.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #144 of 220

Oh Debi, I'm so sorry for this news. I'll continue to keep your family in my prayers. Things were so good, maybe they will be again.

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #145 of 220

I we keep your sister in my prayers.I recently had brain surgey in December 2010.My first thougts was how my familywas going to handle it.So the less she worries about you and the family being upset the better she will be.I know this helped me.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 7:40am
post #146 of 220
Quote:

Debi - My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your sister.

I lost my twin sister suddenly almost 18 months ago. She was single and broke. My parents paid almost 17k in expenses.

I lost my job a year ago and have been without medical insurance for the first time in my life. I pay cash for my monthly Rx's (three of them) and keep my fingers crossed I don't get sick.

indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:30pm
post #147 of 220

Some have been following the progress via my facebook page, but here's the latest update. She visited her doctor today and it appears the gamma-knife was successful. The tumor is still there but it has stopped growing. She FULLY expects to, as she put it, "have dinner with my son" when he returns from Iraq in February.

If she makes it to Feb, that will be 24 months and only about 9% of the people who get this kind of cancer live to 24 months. She is right now in month 19 of an original 9-14 month life expectancy.

She is a walking testimony to the power of prayer and God. thanks to all who have helped in this regard!! icon_smile.gif

P.S. Here's a pic of her with the contrapment screwed into her head (yes, she had 4 holes in her skull to put this in) when she had the last procedure: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.101719563186683.4007.100000459187425#!/photo.php?fbid=247253438633294&set=a.101719563186683.4007.100000459187425&type=1&theater

JGMB Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #148 of 220

Good Heavens, I've never even imagined a contraption like that! But, whatever works, right? Thank you so much for the update and for the reminder to keep your sister and you in my prayers.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:36pm
post #149 of 220

Only realised right now what you and your family are going through , I havent been here much lately . My thoughts and prayers are with you

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:11am
post #150 of 220

Just want to say that I'm thinking of you and your sister, indydebi. I went through the whole thread, and it's heartbreaking but at the same time amazing. Your sister is a very strong woman.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%