How To Cover A Dummy Cake With Fondant - Video

Decorating By aine2 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm by rondasnyder

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 10

You've probably seen how to do this a hundred times but here's my take on how it's done. I am teaching class in London this weekend and needed to prepare my dummy before travelling today so decided to video the experience for you. icon_lol.gif The dummy I use has been used before so you should know that my method means it is easy to take the whole thing apart at a later date if you need to. Hope it helps you some!

Cheers!
Lorraine x

9 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 10

I saw this and its great Lorraine! Thank you for another fab video! icon_smile.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much for sharing. Love the details.

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 10

I love watching your videos. Not only are they good, but I love your accent! I wish I had one lol icon_lol.gif

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #6 of 10

Great "how to" video. I've been fumbling around for a while trying to figure out the easiest way to fondant a dummy cake so I'm definitely going to try some of your tips and techniques. I noticed you glued the dummy to the board (a-ha moment for sure!) but does it come off fairly easy? Do you just use your bench scraper to get it off? One other thing hopefully someone can help me with...for some reason I keep ending up with a pleat...sometimes a pretty large one at that. Any suggestions?

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #7 of 10

Great "how to" video. I've been fumbling around for a while trying to figure out the easiest way to fondant a dummy cake so I'm definitely going to try some of your tips and techniques. I noticed you glued the dummy to the board (a-ha moment for sure!) but does it come off fairly easy? Do you just use your bench scraper to get it off? One other thing hopefully someone can help me with...for some reason I keep ending up with a pleat...sometimes a pretty large one at that. Any suggestions?

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 10

Thanks Lorraine You make it look easy!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

I use the cool melt gun and if I want to reuse the dummy...which I did do with the one I used in the video...I just snap it off the cake board. The glue comes off the dummy although it might leave a few holes, but you don't see them once it's glued down again onto another board. Eventually you'd have to give up on that particular dummy but I think I get my money's worth out of using them. If you keep getting a pleat, you are rolling the paste out too much, and possibly too thinly. Try to only roll it out the exact size of the top and sides of the dummy. When you lift it onto the dummy it will stretch a little anyway but if you start with only enough to do the covering you will be less likely to have the excess. As you smooth the sides down with one hand, keep pulling out the "skirt" with the other. Take your time and I'm sure you'll manage it fine. thumbs_up.gif

rondasnyder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rondasnyder Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 10

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%