1St Time Making Sheet Cake???

Decorating By Smashme Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 12:42am by surgery2

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 10

I'm going to be baking my first sheet cake and i wanted to know do i need to put in a heating core or flower nail? and will a double batch of batter (for a normal 2 teir 8inch round) be enough to fill the pan? and i've heard chocolate cakes don't hold up as well, will it crack in that big of a pan. I'm going to be trying a new chocolate recipe from scratch i just wanted to know if it would be better to work with something that i've tried or should it be ok to use chocolate (asuming the recipe is actually good icon_lol.gif ) Ok thats alot and i hope someone can help me. Thanks icon_redface.gif

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashme

I'm going to be baking my first sheet cake and i wanted to know do i need to put in a heating core or flower nail? and will a double batch of batter (for a normal 2 teir 8inch round) be enough to fill the pan? and i've heard chocolate cakes don't hold up as well, will it crack in that big of a pan. I'm going to be trying a new chocolate recipe from scratch i just wanted to know if it would be better to work with something that i've tried or should it be ok to use chocolate (asuming the recipe is actually good icon_lol.gif ) Ok thats alot and i hope someone can help me. Thanks icon_redface.gif

What size is the pan? You'll probably need a double batch for the 11X15 pan. It's hard to tell though w/o seeing it. I like to overfill mine a bit (2/3 at least) so that they rise above the rim of the pan...makes it easier to get a level cake. I make chocolate sheet cakes all the time and have no problem with them cracking.

Also, I recommend using an inverted flower nail in any sheet pan. For the 12X18, I may even use two nails.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 10

I ditto that !! I make a standard recipe of the WASC (2 cake mixes) and it fills my 11x15 perfect. I too fill my cake pans more than normal to level them easier. I use 1 flower nail in mine for even baking. I also bake chocolate all the time without a problem..

Smashme Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #4 of 10

yes i'm planning on using the 12x18 thank you so much. and would you recommend using like 2 1/2 mixes, i can always make a small cake for the house icon_biggrin.gif .

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 10

I always line the bottom of my pans with wax paper....grease the pan good and add the waxed paper...When the cakes are done I use a towel to flip the cakes out of the pan and then back over to botton side down....let them cool and you will be amazed how the paper helps hold the cake together. I put the top of the cake down on the board, it's usually sticker, and just remove the waxed paper before frosting. If you split the layer, and feel that the top piece is to flimsey then just cut it (the top half if the split cake) in half, when you ice it the cut won't show. I don't use the flower nail...but I do wrap my pans with a damp strip. They rise pretty even.... either way works good.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #6 of 10

For the 12x18,, I use 3 mixes. I never use flower nails or heating cores, just baking strips and reduce the oven temp.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #7 of 10

I'm with Deb I use 3 mixes , I use Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge and do the temp at 325 for about an hour. Everybody raves over that cake it's the texture of a fine resturant cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 10

debster, thanks for the reminder of what brand since some brands yield more and less than others. I use Betty Crocker.

Smashme Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #9 of 10

Thanks ladies i never even thought about dropping the temp and cooking longer, great idea! i will deffinatly use the bake even strips. i just love you gals, you always have such great advice!

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #10 of 10

I use the wilton cake batter guide as a guide for filling my pans, its always been reliable for me, just search " cake batter amounts" and it will show up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%