Likelihood Of Making Red Fondant?

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm by deijha

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, if anyone remembers, about a month ago I attempted to make red fondant. Well, I have a cake coming up on Saturday the 23rd that I need some red fondant for. Ugg and it's ELMO! So he has to be red or he won't look right.

Here is what I'm thinking. I don't need a whole batch of red fondant so I will only make up half a batch of MMF. (8 oz marshmallows, 1 lb powered sugar and 2 Tbl water.) I did buy some McCormick red food coloring and some Wilton "No-taste" Red Gel Coloring. I will add the McCormick food coloring while the marshmallows are mixing up. I do know that fondant darkens the longer it sits.

What I am wondering is: What is the percentage that this will turn out like I need it to? When should I make it to make sure it's red for Saturday?

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!

16 replies
LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 17

I use the wilton no tast red and alot of it and i got a good red for santa just keep adding

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 17

You know, to make red fondant you are really much better off buying it -- that goes for the black fondant too. I buy red and black Satin Ice -- when I've tried to make it otherwise I end up with fondant soup. (Learn from my mistakes!) icon_lol.gif

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 17

I agree with bobwonderbuns icon_smile.gif Buy red fondant! I also buy the black and red satin ice and I will never try making it again!

Good luck though!

Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 17

Unfortunately, I don't know where to buy Satin Ice around here or have the funds to go buy it. So making it is my only option.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 17

Ditto Bob and Katy, I buy Satin Ice red and black fondant. I do not have patience and the color never comes out "just right". Save yourself the headache.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 17

I also use wilton no taste red. But I don't use MMF because there is whitening stuff in it and I have NEVER been able to get a pure red. If all else fails, there is a red spray by wilton that you can use once your cake is covered if it isn't red enough.
HTH

Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigil

I also use wilton no taste red. But I don't use MMF because there is whitening stuff in it and I have NEVER been able to get a pure red. If all else fails, there is a red spray by wilton that you can use once your cake is covered if it isn't red enough.
HTH

Thank you for reminding me about the Wilton red spray. I will have to use that as my back up plan. Lucky Elmo is only going on the side of the cake. So I would only have to spray him.

I think I will make the fondant tomorrow, kids permitting...lol. This way it has a few days to darken by Saturday.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 17

I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black to make my red and black fondant. Wonderful color, no taste.

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 17

Americolor Super Red! Works great!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black to make my red and black fondant. Wonderful color, no taste.

I use the super Red and super black too - you use less. The brand I get locally is "K Country Kitchen" .. I have bought Satin ice red and black (cause I HATE kneading it), but it's really expensive (compared to making MMF) and tastes a bit sweeter to me. I think I'm going to stick to coloring my MMF with the super colors. Even using a bottle of super red, it's still way cheaper than buying! I also knead it with the bread hook in my KA now - much easier on my hands!

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #12 of 17

Hiya, I always start by using wilton pink (till you get a fairly dark pink) and then add the wilton no-taste red to that. Gives a fab red that darkens nicely overnight. I find that if I don't use the pink first I end up using the entire pottle of red. I am in NZ and we don't use the MMF so not sure about using it in that but I use the above to colour the RTR fondant. Hope this helps.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #13 of 17

I make my Red MMF using a large box of strawberry jello and a 1 oz bottle of the Wilton No Taste Red. Worked out perfectly. See my Ferrari cake. It also tasted super delicious. I posted a recipe on my facebook page as well under my Notes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1537867

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #14 of 17

Someone here use red candy melts with the MMF to make red, fondant I can't remember who it was, but she uses colored candy melt with MMF all the time.

I will try to find the post.

Lomikesa

I found it! here is the link

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630479&highlight=

The poster name is "Granmaruth".

Hope this helps you.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #15 of 17

I have made red quite a few times, but I do MFF, not MMF - the super red is awesome! I add it to the liquid before it mixes with the dry and it works out wonderfully!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:53am
post #16 of 17

OOO...I need to try the candy melts next time especially to make dark brown or black MMF. Thanks guys! I tried once to make it just using cocoa powder and it was so dry; just awful.

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 17

I use Americolor Tulip Red. It is the best red color I think and no taste.
Jeanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%