Likelihood Of Making Red Fondant?

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm by deijha

Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, if anyone remembers, about a month ago I attempted to make red fondant. Well, I have a cake coming up on Saturday the 23rd that I need some red fondant for. Ugg and it's ELMO! So he has to be red or he won't look right.

Here is what I'm thinking. I don't need a whole batch of red fondant so I will only make up half a batch of MMF. (8 oz marshmallows, 1 lb powered sugar and 2 Tbl water.) I did buy some McCormick red food coloring and some Wilton "No-taste" Red Gel Coloring. I will add the McCormick food coloring while the marshmallows are mixing up. I do know that fondant darkens the longer it sits.

What I am wondering is: What is the percentage that this will turn out like I need it to? When should I make it to make sure it's red for Saturday?

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!

16 replies
LEHLA Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 17

I use the wilton no tast red and alot of it and i got a good red for santa just keep adding

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 17

You know, to make red fondant you are really much better off buying it -- that goes for the black fondant too. I buy red and black Satin Ice -- when I've tried to make it otherwise I end up with fondant soup. (Learn from my mistakes!) icon_lol.gif

katystinykitchen Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 17

I agree with bobwonderbuns icon_smile.gif Buy red fondant! I also buy the black and red satin ice and I will never try making it again!

Good luck though!

Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 17

Unfortunately, I don't know where to buy Satin Ice around here or have the funds to go buy it. So making it is my only option.

misserica Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 17

Ditto Bob and Katy, I buy Satin Ice red and black fondant. I do not have patience and the color never comes out "just right". Save yourself the headache.

cvigil Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 17

I also use wilton no taste red. But I don't use MMF because there is whitening stuff in it and I have NEVER been able to get a pure red. If all else fails, there is a red spray by wilton that you can use once your cake is covered if it isn't red enough.
HTH

Thanksharla Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigil

I also use wilton no taste red. But I don't use MMF because there is whitening stuff in it and I have NEVER been able to get a pure red. If all else fails, there is a red spray by wilton that you can use once your cake is covered if it isn't red enough.
HTH

Thank you for reminding me about the Wilton red spray. I will have to use that as my back up plan. Lucky Elmo is only going on the side of the cake. So I would only have to spray him.

I think I will make the fondant tomorrow, kids permitting...lol. This way it has a few days to darken by Saturday.

AJsGirl Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 17

I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black to make my red and black fondant. Wonderful color, no taste.

QueenJessica Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 17

Americolor Super Red! Works great!

cakesrock Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:34am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

I use Americolor Super Red and Super Black to make my red and black fondant. Wonderful color, no taste.

I use the super Red and super black too - you use less. The brand I get locally is "K Country Kitchen" .. I have bought Satin ice red and black (cause I HATE kneading it), but it's really expensive (compared to making MMF) and tastes a bit sweeter to me. I think I'm going to stick to coloring my MMF with the super colors. Even using a bottle of super red, it's still way cheaper than buying! I also knead it with the bread hook in my KA now - much easier on my hands!

sweetooth0510 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:55am
post #12 of 17

Hiya, I always start by using wilton pink (till you get a fairly dark pink) and then add the wilton no-taste red to that. Gives a fab red that darkens nicely overnight. I find that if I don't use the pink first I end up using the entire pottle of red. I am in NZ and we don't use the MMF so not sure about using it in that but I use the above to colour the RTR fondant. Hope this helps.

AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #13 of 17

I make my Red MMF using a large box of strawberry jello and a 1 oz bottle of the Wilton No Taste Red. Worked out perfectly. See my Ferrari cake. It also tasted super delicious. I posted a recipe on my facebook page as well under my Notes.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1537867

lomikesa Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:28am
post #14 of 17

Someone here use red candy melts with the MMF to make red, fondant I can't remember who it was, but she uses colored candy melt with MMF all the time.

I will try to find the post.

Lomikesa

I found it! here is the link

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630479&highlight=

The poster name is "Granmaruth".

Hope this helps you.

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 4:48am
post #15 of 17

I have made red quite a few times, but I do MFF, not MMF - the super red is awesome! I add it to the liquid before it mixes with the dry and it works out wonderfully!

AngelFood4 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 5:53am
post #16 of 17

OOO...I need to try the candy melts next time especially to make dark brown or black MMF. Thanks guys! I tried once to make it just using cocoa powder and it was so dry; just awful.

deijha Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 17

I use Americolor Tulip Red. It is the best red color I think and no taste.
Jeanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%