Rectangle Cake In Fondant

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 17 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm by egensinnig

jadedlogic Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have only just covered my first round cake in fondant ( in my gallery) and I wanted to cover a rectangle cake in fondant for my grandfathers birthday - is it harder? I'm worried to ruin it because it is my gift for his birthday party tomorrow night!

7 replies
snocilla Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

Ii's basically the same process as a round cake, but do the corners first, and then pull out and smooth the sides.

tonedna Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 8

Refrigerate the cake so is harder. And definitively press the corners in place
so they dont get broken.
Square are a bit harder than rounds, but practice will help!
Edna icon_smile.gif

jadedlogic Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 8

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips - I couldn't get the sharp corners but I think it turned out ok for my first time doing it, I also used mmf rather than the wilton fondant like I did on my first fondant cake and found it harder to work with. It's in my gallery if anyone wants to take a look. icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 8

That turned out beautiful (added it to my favs). I like MMF and after alot of practice it gets easier to use (for me anyways). And people actually eat it!

jadedlogic Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks icon_smile.gif I noticed that last night almost everyone ate the mmf - and I told people before if you dont like it don't eat it that I wouldn't be offended and almost everyone ate it!

luvmysmoother Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 8

The cakes are gorgeous - you have natural ability with fondanticon_smile.gif On youtube they have a great square cake tutorial but you really don't need it - the cake is perfecticon_smile.gif

egensinnig Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 8

This video might be something:

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%