I Know This May Be A Dumb Question But...

Decorating By silverc Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 2:19am by newmansmom2004

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 12

I have someone interested in ordering a baby shower cake for 75 people. She has decided that she wants a cute cake to put on the table and then a plain sheet cake to put in the kitchen and serve from. I plan to charge $3 per serving for the cake to be placed on the table, but what is a normal charge for a sheet cake with no decoration, just buttercream icing and a border?

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 12

So is this like a straight up sheetcake with just a layer of cake covered in buttercream or will it be a kitchen cake, being torted and filled so when you cut a pice it looks just like a piece cut from the tiered cake? If its a kitchen cake it would have your basic base price for a cake.

silverc Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 12

It will be a one layer sheetcake with the top and sides iced and a top and bottom border.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 12

Sorry, that I don't have an answer for. Something you may want to consider though. There is a reason I don't do a traditional sheetcake like that, doesn't matter how gorgeous you decorate it. I want to be seen as a "custom" cake artist & with that type of pricing. There is no way I could do a cake like that and see a true profit. People who order a one-layer sheetcake, no matter from whom, tend to want to pay what they would at a grocery store for the same cake. I can't compete with that pricing, nor am I trying to. HTH and hope I make sense. icon_wink.gif

silverc Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 12

That is not the type of cake I prefer to do either, but they are ordering a tiered cake for the table. They just didn't want to pay for a tiered cake to feed 75. They would rather do a small tiered cake and then the sheetcake. I do understand that they are trying to save money, and I am OK with that because the cake that everyone will see will be nice and I will be able to make a profit on it. I was just hoping that someone would have done something like this before and could tell me what they charged.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 12

I'm not sure, but if I were you I would figure up the cost like you did for your other cake, the supplies would be a little less, and the time spent would be less. It really depends on how much your supplies are and how much you were "charging" for your time (or however you figured your prices?)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #7 of 12

Back in the olden days when I was doing cakes like that (about 10 yrs ago) I charged a flat price for all cakes. Any one mix cake (ie" 10x2" round; 12x8 sheet etc) I charged $25; for 2 mix cakes it was like $35-40. Don't know if that helps you any.

turtlemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtlemom Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:11am
post #8 of 12

i charge 35.00 for a 1/4 sheet cake which for me is 11x15 and for a 1/2 sheet cake i charge 45.00. that is plain one layered cake. hope that helps.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #9 of 12

My minimum price for all cakes is $3/serving so that's what I'd charge for kitchen cake too. I usually tell people right up front that its my minimum and cannot charge less, and that if they want to buy sheetcake from me, they should be aware that I charge by serving no matter what kind of cake it is.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #10 of 12

$1 a serving for basic, iced but undecorated, one layer, sheet cake... (1/4 sheet(for me, that's 9x13...approx 27 servings) is the smallest I offer), one flavor....

silverc Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all! This info really helps.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #12 of 12

Flat rates for my sheets:

9 x 13 - $35.00 (no filling)
9 x 13 - $45.00 (w/buttercream filling)

11 x 15 - $50.00 (no filling)
11 x 15 - $60.00 (w/buttercream filling)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%