Haha, My Accountant Thinks I'm Too Expensive :d

Decorating By HarleyDee Updated 15 Jan 2010 , 6:54am by Rosie2

HarleyDee Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 31

This was just too funny to me. I have reached the point in business where I needed help, so I went to see an accountant last Fall. Before I left, she said that she would call me in January to maybe do a hunting cake for her husband's birthday.

She called Monday, asked about a 3D deer head cake, and said she needed it for Friday. I asked how many she was serving, and she said 8 people icon_rolleyes.gif I told her that she might be better off just getting an 8" or 10" round and letting me do a hand molded smaller deer head for the top, but I would give her both prices anyway.

I quoted her $78 for the smaller cake, and I think I actually heard her choke. She was like, "I'm sorry, I just wasn't expecting $78 for a cake. Just for a cake. I was thinking more like $30!"

Umm, sorry icon_biggrin.gif And I know how much I pay her, and she's one of the best accountants in town. I know she can spend more than $30 on cake icon_biggrin.gif

30 replies
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 31

And did you say..."And yeah I expected to only pay $30 to have my taxes done too" icon_smile.gif

cgm_cakes Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

And did you say..."And yeah I expected to only pay $30 to have my taxes done too" icon_smile.gif





DITTO THAT ! ! ! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm_cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

And did you say..."And yeah I expected to only pay $30 to have my taxes done too" icon_smile.gif




DITTO THAT ! ! ! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif




Oh Snap! That woulda been a great snap! thumbs_up.gif

auntmamie Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 31

In defense of the accountants (because I am one!)......

We are the back office - we get stuck in a small, windowless room, and are told to crunch numbers all day long. Interaction with other people? What's that? On dates, I talk accounting....That's how lame my life is. And I date an accountant, too. Sometimes, we really don't see the real world.....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great cakes that are totally worth $78 icon_biggrin.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL

cownsj Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #6 of 31

people get so focused on what they are entitled to earn they seem to forget that others might also be able to earn some money. She may have had to go to school and take some tests, but artistic talent is something she'll never be able to appreciate.

Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:10am
post #7 of 31

Hahahaha........my 30 yr old single BIL is a C.P.A. with Price Waterhouse, owns a great apartment overlooking Central Park in NYC and drives an $85k Mercedes............I'm pretty sure he could afford a $78 cake. Hell he probably spends that on dinner for himself every night.

This woman should be ashamed of herself for reacting to your price like she did......does she think twice about what she's charging her clients?


It kills me when somebody says "it's just cake".....ESPECIALLY kills me when an educated person says it. icon_mad.gif

kaciealexa Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 31

my friend, anne had a guy over to give her a quote for installing invisible fence , the quote was $1200.00.. while in her house, he noticed her beautiful quilting and said, 'boy , i would love to have you make one for my wife, how much would you charge for a king size quilt?", she replies that a king size quilt will cost $1200.00,, he says, 'forget it, i thought you would only charge me for the material'... she said, ' if you charge me only for the material for the invisible fence'.. (knowing that my husband and i had just installed it by ourselves for $300).... he said, 'i won't work for nothin' lady'... but he sure expected her to!!

julzs71 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

In defense of the accountants (because I am one!)......

We are the back office - we get stuck in a small, windowless room, and are told to crunch numbers all day long. Interaction with other people? What's that? On dates, I talk accounting....That's how lame my life is. And I date an accountant, too. Sometimes, we really don't see the real world.....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great cakes that are totally worth $78 icon_biggrin.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL




In defense of the baker (because I am one!)....

We are in the back room - we get stuck in a small, windowless hot room and are told to crunch graham crackers all day. Interaction with other people? What's that. On dates, I talk cake....That's how lame my life is. And I date a baker, too. Sometimes we really don't see the real world....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great accounts are worth $2500 icon_surprised.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL

chocomama Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:54am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

In defense of the accountants (because I am one!)......

We are the back office - we get stuck in a small, windowless room, and are told to crunch numbers all day long. Interaction with other people? What's that? On dates, I talk accounting....That's how lame my life is. And I date an accountant, too. Sometimes, we really don't see the real world.....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great cakes that are totally worth $78 icon_biggrin.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL



In defense of the baker (because I am one!)....

We are in the back room - we get stuck in a small, windowless hot room and are told to crunch graham crackers all day. Interaction with other people? What's that. On dates, I talk cake....That's how lame my life is. And I date a baker, too. Sometimes we really don't see the real world....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great accounts are worth $2500 icon_surprised.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL




Oh, SNAP! LOL!

Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

In defense of the accountants (because I am one!)......

We are the back office - we get stuck in a small, windowless room, and are told to crunch numbers all day long. Interaction with other people? What's that? On dates, I talk accounting....That's how lame my life is. And I date an accountant, too. Sometimes, we really don't see the real world.....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great cakes that are totally worth $78 icon_biggrin.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL



In defense of the baker (because I am one!)....

We are in the back room - we get stuck in a small, windowless hot room and are told to crunch graham crackers all day. Interaction with other people? What's that. On dates, I talk cake....That's how lame my life is. And I date a baker, too. Sometimes we really don't see the real world....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great accounts are worth $2500 icon_surprised.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL




Love it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:20am
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmamie

In defense of the accountants (because I am one!)......

We are the back office - we get stuck in a small, windowless room, and are told to crunch numbers all day long. Interaction with other people? What's that? On dates, I talk accounting....That's how lame my life is. And I date an accountant, too. Sometimes, we really don't see the real world.....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great cakes that are totally worth $78 icon_biggrin.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL



In defense of the baker (because I am one!)....

We are in the back room - we get stuck in a small, windowless hot room and are told to crunch graham crackers all day. Interaction with other people? What's that. On dates, I talk cake....That's how lame my life is. And I date a baker, too. Sometimes we really don't see the real world....we just don't know what's out there. Like really great accounts are worth $2500 icon_surprised.gif

Stepping off my soapbox now.....LOL




Forgot:

And I have an addiction to feed -- it's called CC

LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:39am
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

my friend, anne had a guy over to give her a quote for installing invisible fence , the quote was $1200.00.. while in her house, he noticed her beautiful quilting and said, 'boy , i would love to have you make one for my wife, how much would you charge for a king size quilt?", she replies that a king size quilt will cost $1200.00,, he says, 'forget it, i thought you would only charge me for the material'... she said, ' if you charge me only for the material for the invisible fence'.. (knowing that my husband and i had just installed it by ourselves for $300).... he said, 'i won't work for nothin' lady'... but he sure expected her to!!




Love your answer to him and he was a complete d##k h@@d!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:04am
post #14 of 31

My ortho assistant wanted a big cookie and I quoted a big huge one like she originally ordered and she about croaked...she shrunk her order down until it was more what she wanted to pay.

She loved what she got but its funny...its ok for me to pay $5000 for braces but......

Its okay LOL they put my flyers and business cards up in their office and stuff so I don't mind. icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:31am
post #15 of 31

I think this thread is sooooo funny and the "accountant" of all people. Having said that it's not always what someone can afford, it's just that it's not worth THAT much to them (and they don't realize it is worth that much because of the time involved). I think most of us have seen something we liked (wasn't a necessity) and then found out the price and said "nah, that's more than I want to pay" even if it's not that much money. I know I sure have.

spicymustard2 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:20am
post #16 of 31

It's easy to not understand what others' businesses entail. When I was a kid, I worked at a party store and couldn't understand why people freaked out when I would quote prices for those fancy balloon arches. It's easy to say "they're just balloons" or "it's just my taxes" or "it's just an invisible fence" or "it's just a quilt" or "it's just a cake....."

Most people have no clue how tedious, time-consuming, and difficult decorating cakes can be. Currently, I work part-time at a store that sells kitchen stuff, bath, stuff, etc. When people freak out about the prices of our sheets, down comforters, stand mixers, etc. I know now to be patient with people and explain why these things are so expensive.

In addition to being an artist, you have to be a salesperson. You have to take the time to explain the process and build value. Once people have some understanding of the cake decorating ART, they see it as such and will be willing to pay. It's not just about flour and sugar. You're selling a special experience. If you paint a good enough picture of how the wedding, birthday, etc. will be enhanced by the addition of your cake, hopefully your customer will leave feeling they ripped YOU off.

cjford Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:49pm
post #17 of 31

VERY well said spicymustard2!!!!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 1:59pm
post #18 of 31

I've been starting to, sometimes, refer to myself as a "custom cake artist" because to me, that sort of points out the fact that I'm an "artist" and not just a "baker".

artscallion Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I've been starting to, sometimes, refer to myself as a "custom cake artist" because to me, that sort of points out the fact that I'm an "artist" and not just a "baker".




Exactly, Kitagirl. I spent about 8 hours this week individually shaping 150 tiny gumpaste xmas lights, the size of rice grains, then lustre dusting them. Then cutting out 150 eensy weensy gumpaste circles, and dusting them to be the little gold screw-in ends of each bulb which I then attaching with gumpaste glue using two sets of tweezers. And that was just the beginning of this cake.

Yes I do bake cakes as part of the process. But I don't call myself a baker, or even a cake decorator. I am a custom cake artist. Lots of people want just a cake, from a baker. And that's okay. But it's not what I do.

And anyone who tells me, "it's just a cake" better watch out for those tweezers!

dinascakes Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #20 of 31

I like that ... "custom cake artist". Well said.

dinascakes Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #21 of 31

I like that ... "custom cake artist". Well said.

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:35pm
post #22 of 31

artscallion...WOW. icon_smile.gif Can't wait to see that cake!

KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #23 of 31

Kitagrl you should have told the accountant;

"yeah, you're right I guess we're both in the market of charging people good money for something they can do on their own at home for FREE huh?"

Even the accountant has to realize doing your own taxes/cake and just "winging it" once a year, is NOT the same as having a professional who specializes in it, filling your request!

KHalstead Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 31

Oh and Kitagrl just wanted to add, I have a tasting with a bride who's from Ohio and a groom from Philly (flew in yesterday) and the BTB is already saying my Fiance can't BELIEVE your cakes prices, we're so excited lOL

I charge $2.25/serv. for tiered bc cakes.........so THANKS for charging what you should over there in philly!

NYCGiGi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 2:55pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Hahahaha........my 30 yr old single BIL is a C.P.A. with Price Waterhouse, owns a great apartment overlooking Central Park in NYC and drives an $85k Mercedes............I'm pretty sure he could afford a $78 cake. Hell he probably spends that on dinner for himself every night.

This woman should be ashamed of herself for reacting to your price like she did......does she think twice about what she's charging her clients?


It kills me when somebody says "it's just cake".....ESPECIALLY kills me when an educated person says it. icon_mad.gif





This whole thing makes me laugh! And tell your BIL that if he wants to have company for that $78 dinner, I'll be there in a jiffy! HA HA - kidding. Not sure what he is doing still single in NYC!

FromScratch Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:33pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

Not sure what he is doing still single in NYC!




being an accountant... icon_wink.gif

I refer to myself as a custom cake designer. I used to just say "the cake lady", but that infers that I make run of the mill birthday cakes with "Happy Birthday You" written on the top like at the grocery store. So no longer. Now I am a designer... and you will respcetfully remember that and not balk when I tell you that the 3-D cake you are asking me to make will cost you $600.00 when there will only be 15 people at your party.

I think what gets lost in translation is that we (and this is any professional) are not just reselling ingredients... we are providing a service to people who either can't or plain don't want to do it themselves. That is where the true value of our work comes in.

HarleyDee Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:04pm
post #27 of 31

I alllllmost told her we could work out a trade for the cake and the cost of my taxes, but decided against it. I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth.

And just for the record, my accountant has her own little firm here. She's got the best office in the building, and she definitely isn't hurting for money icon_smile.gif

I explained that I would have at least 5 hours in her cake, and I think that kinda made her realize that the quote was more about my time and less about the cost of sugar and eggs.

tracycakes Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I've been starting to, sometimes, refer to myself as a "custom cake artist" because to me, that sort of points out the fact that I'm an "artist" and not just a "baker".




I was just thinking about this very same thing! icon_surprised.gificon_wink.gif I recently had to write down my title on something and put 'cake decorator'. I was thinking about putting 'cake artist' or 'cake designer' from now on. Then, I got on CC and this was the first thread I read. What timing! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Hahahaha........my 30 yr old single BIL is a C.P.A. with Price Waterhouse, owns a great apartment overlooking Central Park in NYC and drives an $85k Mercedes............I'm pretty sure he could afford a $78 cake. Hell he probably spends that on dinner for himself every night.

This woman should be ashamed of herself for reacting to your price like she did......does she think twice about what she's charging her clients?


It kills me when somebody says "it's just cake".....ESPECIALLY kills me when an educated person says it. icon_mad.gif




This whole thing makes me laugh! And tell your BIL that if he wants to have company for that $78 dinner, I'll be there in a jiffy! HA HA - kidding. Not sure what he is doing still single in NYC!




He's the type of guy that will date a girl for a few months but just when it starts to get serious he finds a reason to break it off. He wants to be able to fly to the Caribbean for the weekend or go skiing on a whim without having to answer to anybody.

My DH keeps reminding him that if he keeps up this behavior, he'll be a very lonely 50 yr old someday.

Mensch Posted 15 Jan 2010 , 6:04am
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

And did you say..."And yeah I expected to only pay $30 to have my taxes done too" icon_smile.gif




Gah! this exact thing happened to me two weeks ago with my accountant! I stopped in to give her the December binder and she said her kidlet had a birthday coming up and wanted to order a cake. I asked her the date and how many, and if she had an idea of what she wanted.

She hauled out a pic and I said, sure, a cake like that for the amount of guests you're expecting will cost $195. It was funny to see her eyes BUG out.

She, too, said, but it's only a cake. I countered with, no, it's six hours of work.

She then said she was planning on spending no more than $30 on the cake, and could I consider doing the cake for that? I said sure, if you give me a 61.50% discount when you do the work on this December binder.

Needless to say, she didn't offer the discount, and neither did I.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%