Open Lid For A Tool Box Cake?

Decorating By my_4_dumplins Updated 13 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm by ZoesMum

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:01am
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for my husbands birthday that looks like a tool box. I want to have the lid open like the picture attached, but I don't know how to go about fixing it to the cake. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
LL

6 replies
icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 8:04am
post #2 of 7

I can't help but want to see what others say!

ikklejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikklejo Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 10:06am
post #3 of 7

Hiya, I havent made one like this but have read about attatching tricky things like this!! I think alot of people use rods/ dowling through the lid right through the cake?? Im more than sure there is a topic on this kind of thing and someone will point you in the direction of it!! - Would like to see it when it is finished icon_smile.gif

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7

I haven't done it myself, but asked a similar question when looking to make a gift box cake for Christmas. It was suggested to use foam for the lid covered in fondant, then use dowels through an angled piece of foam to prop it open. Did you want it all the way open, or will partially open do?

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoesMum

I haven't done it myself, but asked a similar question when looking to make a gift box cake for Christmas. It was suggested to use foam for the lid covered in fondant, then use dowels through an angled piece of foam to prop it open. Did you want it all the way open, or will partially open do?

I'm thinking I will have it all the way open with some fondant/gumpaste tools laying in the top.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #6 of 7

I don't know the right answer onthis, but I do know that if you use dowels really close to the edge of your cake that you can blow out the side of your cake. Voice of experience. So, I would love to hear the right way.

Hazel

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 13 Jan 2010 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 7

I'm not sure how you would do all the way open properly, so hopefully someone else will chime in!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%