Help With A Cake Topper

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 6:02am by SecretAgentCakeBaker

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 4

I find myself in a bit of a pickle, and I'm looking for any possible suggestions.

I have my first wedding cake on Sunday. It's for a friend, and I'm doing it for basically the cost of the ingredients/supplies, with maybe a tiny bit for my time. It's a three tier, non-stacked, wedding cake. All tiers are 8" The theme of the wedding is "A Mid-Winter NIght's Dream." SO basically, it's a fairy and toadstool themed wedding cake. (It's waht she picked).

Awhile back, I asked her about her cake topper, and what I shoudl do about the top of the cake. She told me that she and her fiancee were going to get one, so please leave the top open. "SCORE!" I thought, as that made my life a lot easier. The top tier of the cake is a cloud tier, and it will be snowing from that top tier.

Today she's like "Oh, we couldn't find a topper. Could you put something on?" you know how we cake decorators are. I said yes, and asked about her flowers. She said "They're silvery and puprle fake flowers." So now I need to come up with something.

I can't make a lot of flowers in gumpaste to be honest. I've taken classes on several, then never used them, so I dont' think I coudl do them again. Roses are about the only flowers I can make.

I have a couple of options right now that I can think of:

1. A giant toadstool house standing upright on the top of the cake. Problem: It wouldn't be 3-D, as it has a defined front, with a blank back. THat kind of bothers me, as I like things to be viewed from all directions.

2. Make silver colored flowers with a purple edge to them, and add some white filler flowers. I might be able to pull off some lilly of the valley, some stephanotis, or some generic white flower with a cutter/veiner I have.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

3 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

hi-
what about using the flowers that she has for the wedding. you said they are fake- so why cant you get extras and make a bouquet on top?

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

I like aundrea's idea... see if you can get some of the wedding flowers. Maybe you could make some wired stars and beads to stick out of the flowers?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%