The Height Of The B & G Determines Height Of Cake???

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 4:22am by LaBellaFlor

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 21

So I just offered to my aunt that I would make my cousins' wedding cake as my gift to them. It's still very early in the planning stages but I asked how many servings of cake I should plan for. My aunt right away went into talking about how tall her son is and how short her daughter-in-law to be is. icon_confused.gif He's about 6 feet 2 inches, she's just under 5 feet. My aunt is concerned about how high the cake should be so that it "looks right". Has anyone encountered this before and what suggestions should I make? Thanks!!

20 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 21

Never, ever, ever. This is a totally new one to me. Cake size is usually determined by servings needed. It can be made bigger if requested, but they will pay for additional servings that are needed.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 21

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 21

lmao.......wth??

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

So I just offered to my aunt that I would make my cousins' wedding cake as my gift to them. It's still very early in the planning stages but I asked how many servings of cake I should plan for. My aunt right away went into talking about how tall her son is and how short her daughter-in-law to be is. icon_confused.gif He's about 6 feet 2 inches, she's just under 5 feet. My aunt is concerned about how high the cake should be so that it "looks right". Has anyone encountered this before and what suggestions should I make? Thanks!!

Maybe she is concerned about it looking right in pictures when the B & G go to cut the cake. With the groom being so tall and the bride being considerably shorter you don't want a cake that sits to high or low.

Like others said the size of the cake is determined by the # of servings needed. If the cake ends up being to tall maybe it can be placed on a shorter table so not to overtower the bride too much.

Just a thought

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 21

Too funny. I guess there is some validity to that though you wouldn't want a five tier cake obstructing the bride, lol! All you see is the groom and maybe a bit of dress with arms peaking out from some ginormous cakeicon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 21

That is funny! Tell your Aunt that the bride is always the center of attention in all of the pictures anyway, so she doesn't need to worry. icon_lol.gif

My 4' 11" niece just married her 6' 5" hubby and there she was front and center with the cake and hubby off to the side in the cake cutting picture.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 21

My suggestion also was that they stand to the side of the cake for pictures if the cake turns out to be to tall.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 21

.....you could always put the cake on a table with short legs... icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, if it's really a concern maybe a small step stool could be put behind the cake table for the pictures, but I've never heard anyone ask that question either...

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 21

In the words of Bill Cosby......"THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD"!!!!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 21

I knew you guys would think this is funny!! It is really all about how the pictures will look - always has been for my aunts!! I think I'll just have to suggest that the bride stands at the side and as close to the front as possible. The step stool is an interesting idea as well...

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 21

First thought to enter my mind was to have a step stool back there.

Gotta say though, that I've never heard of such a thing.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 21

I was just reading about this yesterday on another decorator's website! LOL

"TIPS FROM CELEBRITY CAKE BAKER SYLVIA WEINSTOCK"

"2. The size of the cake must relate to the brides size and the grooms: If theyre small people, the cake should not overpower them. If theyre tall, the cake should be also. "

I cracked up when I read it- she also has some other interesting tips. I just thought it was funny you guys were talking about it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 21

Give me a break. this is not a wedding dress. It's the cake for goodness sake!!! Sylvia Weinstock has made some of the tallest, towering cakes I have ever seen. They certainly didn't match their 5'5" with heals on bride.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 21

LMAO... I am 5'2" and my hubby is 6'7"... our cake would have had have been HUGE to be in proportion to him. I have never heard that before, but that doesn't mean anything.

Tell that to those over-the-top brides who want the GIGANTICO cake... I'm betting that won't fly.

Deb_ Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 21

Don't tell Jackie and Heath about that rule....wasn't their cake like 8 ft tall or something? icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 21

Hey, Auntie! Guess what!? Photographers LONG AGO figured out that they can't stand in front of the cake with the bride and groom BEHIND the cake to get a good photo.

So the idea of the cake "hiding" a short bride or groom is ridiculous. If it's all for the photos, the photographer will know how to do it.

And if it's all for the photo's, I'm surprised she's not demanding the groom scrunch down lower so he's in proportion to the little short bride!

What a ma-ROON!!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 21

Actually, this IS one of the factors I take into consideration when designing a cake. If a couple needs 130 servings, I can do that as either a three tier or a four tier. For a shorter couple, I'd do the three tier. For a taller couple I'd do the four tier. In fact, my chef instructor, and head of the culinary school's pastry arts program, considered the bride's height the number one question to ask before even beginning to sketch a cake. All things being equal I try to get the top of the topper to hit the bride in the "strike zone" or around the bust line.

So, YES! I do factor in the bride's height and consider it an important piece of data.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #19 of 21

Elvis & Priscilla's cake was over a foot taller than her. http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/media/San-Diego-Magazine/Travels/May-2005/Vegas-Weddings/

The redhead from Desperate Housewives cake: http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dlongoria%2Bwedding%2Bcake%26ei%3Dutf-8%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701&w=300&h=395&imgurl=shinymedia.headshift.com%2Fimages%2Fimages%2Fmarcia_cake.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bridalwave.tv%2F2006%2F07%2Fmarcia_cross_an.html&size=23k&name=marcia+cake+jpg&p=longoria+wedding+cake&oid=c5b3ec85c604d686&fr2=&no=3&tt=13&sigr=11lem7g7s&sigi=11mrinep3&sigb=12qphbteo (it's a bad scan of the photo).

I LUV cakes that tower over the couple. There's actually some history on the height of wedding cakes:

In the history of wedding cakes, there are stories of a custom involving stacking small sweet buns in a large pile in front of the newlyweds. The couple would attempt to kiss over the pile. Success in the process was a sign that there would be many children in their future. Guests thought it was fun to make the pile pretty huge so the couple had to work for their kiss.

Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:35am
post #20 of 21

That's a cute story Debi!

LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 4:22am
post #21 of 21

The Desperate House Wife's cake is beautiful. Now who doesn't want the towering cake? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%