Price This One For Me?!

Decorating By jamiekwebb Updated 7 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm by jamiekwebb

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 22

Ok ladies I had someone want to know how much this cake would cost.... I am assuming it is a 10" and 6" and by my servings (and I use the big ones) that is 40 people. I said $2.00 per serving so a minimum of $80.00. Is that to much? She said that was to expensive, I am not backing down my prices for her but I wanted to know what you think.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1200724.html

21 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 22

$2.00 per serving is where I start. Then I add more for difficult/time consuming decoration, filling, etc. I live in a small town in Texas. I don't know the going rate for cakes in your area but I wouldn't do one for less.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 22

with all the time that detail takes, at least $100, and that is being generous

deb

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 22

Seems like an awful lot of work for just $80. I would change my servings to Wilton wedding chart and I wouldn't charge less than $200.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 22

50 servings x $4.00 = $200

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 6 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 22

Personally, I would only do that in fondant, at $5.00/svg.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 22

My base price doesn't even start at $2.00/serving. That's way too little for that cake. Even if it is iced in BC look at all the fondant deco you'll have to do.

jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:01am
post #8 of 22

Ok ladies thanks!! I live in a tiny town and this is in the middle for going rate. I just don't want to do a cake for so little money and not make anything on it. Thanks for your confirmation!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #9 of 22

Heck, I charge $78 just for a simply decorated BC iced/filled 10" round! $80 for that cake is a steal!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

Ok ladies thanks!! I live in a tiny town and this is in the middle for going rate. I just don't want to do a cake for so little money and not make anything on it. Thanks for your confirmation!

Start to finish how many hours do you think it will take you to make that cake? Now, how much is your time worth to you? $4.00 an hour? $40.00 and hour? You have ot think of it that way... $80.00 just isn't that much for what you're having to do.

hugs28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hugs28 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 12:49pm
post #11 of 22

I am in the same predicament as you, our area people don't want to pay a whole lot and think whatever I say is too much no matter what it is. I lose people, but if people want a quality cake, they will pay for it.

I usually do $5 per serving for all fondant and $4 for just BC or BC and fondant accents. For friends of course I charge less, but they are friends lol.

I just recently did a cake for practically nothing because I felt bad for the other person not having the money etc..... well never again, it was WAY to much work for what I asked her to pay for it and I was not happy with myself for it. Being that we don't live in those areas where people can charge $10 per serving its hard.

Personally I would not touch that cake for anything less then $100 and like someone else said that is being very generous. Should be closer to $150, assuming, as it looks to be a 6" and 8" by 36 servings @ $4 each would be $144 and $5 would be $180. Good luck. Hope you get the work, we could all use the extra money icon_smile.gif Its very cute icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 22

About $145 (assuming a 6 & an 8in).

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 22

If the customer says that's too expensive, then that's where the conversation should stop. I have customers who think a sculpted cake to serve 20 people should only cost about $40.00. Your prices should not be negotiable. You shouldn't ask her if that price sounds okay and then haggle with her. If she says that's too much, then you politely say thanks for contacting me and please let me know if I can be of service in the future. I've dealt with too much of the price shock issue, that one of the first things I ask a customer is their budget. If their budget is less than $100.00, I tell them I'm sorry I can't do the cake for them because my minimum order is $100.00.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 22

I agree that $80.00 is not enough for that cake. I wouldn't touch it for less than $125.00. It never ceases to amaze me how people expect so much for so little icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:18pm
post #15 of 22

jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 22

Yeah, I didn't ask her if it sounded ok. I just told her my price estimate and that is what she said. My prices aren't negotiable I just wanted to make sure that my prices weren't to high, which I knew they wouldn't be for you all. I just don't get it. She said that she can make her cake so why doesn't she then if she doesn't want to pay my prices? why do they think that $2.00 a serving is to much for a 4" x 2" x 1.5" piece of cake. I mean that is 12" cubic inches of cake people, you just ate a foot of cake and only paid $2.00 for it. Arggg, sorry. It's just that if this is to expensive when will I be able to charge what I really should be charging?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 22

Can you all point me to the "exact" serving guidelines that you're using? I'm trying to standardize my serving/pricing guidelines too. I'm looking at the Wilton wedding guidelines for 2" pans. I actually use 3" pans, but after leveling, I end up with 2, 2" layers. Here's the link to what I'm looking at: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

So, that chart shows a 2 layer 10" serves 38, and a 2 layer 6" serves 12, so a total of 50 servings. Is this the standard that you're all using?

Also, do you just use this one guide for all cakes (wedding or not)? I would think that using 2 charts would be confusing for clients...no?

Thanks in advance!

jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #18 of 22

I use the Wilton Party sizes. A 10" =28 and a 6"=12 so for me it is only 40... think, if they cut it smaller they can get more out of it. I am just getting more tiffed at this lady as I go along. I hope she doesn't get back with me and that she does make it herself.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #19 of 22

Yes the standard size for servings are usually based off the Wiltong Wedding guide. There are some that go by other charts but why would you cut the piece bigger but not adjust the serving price?

If you are doing party servings are you already losing money on the cake. As Indy would say, if you want bigger pieces you pay for a bigger cake.

"10" serves 38, and a 2 layer 6" serves 12, so a total of 50 servings" at $2 would be $100.

"10" =28 and a 6"=12 so for me it is only 40" at $2 a serving would be only $80

That is $20 difference for the same size cake. That cake costs the same amount to make, takes the same time to ice, so why would you cheat yourself out of $20?

I started off doing both serving sizes because I didn't do alot of wedding cakes, but then I realised when you get asked to do a tiered cake and do party servings you are really losing out money. Especially if you then do a wedding cake at the same serving price.

Now, I use wedding sizes for everything. I haven't had anyone complain about it not being enough cake either. If I am doing a free cake for family then I may look more at party servings than wedding, but then at that point it isn't effecting my pay.

If you choose to do different serving sizes for the different events, then atleast price your servings differently. Or course that gets confusing, but in the end the 10" cake cake for a wedding should cost the same as the 10" cake for the birthday, especially if it is a tiered one.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:45pm
post #20 of 22

if i did that cake.. and iced it in b/c with the fondant figures.. i would charge $125.00... if THE CLIENT asked for it to be covered in fondant.... with the fondant decos... then of course it would be more.. i have no problem getting... $125.00.. for that same size cake.. iced with b/c and fonant deco's .hth

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:58pm
post #21 of 22

I have absolutely no problem telling a customer a particular cake will be in fondant. They can peel it off. I'm not screwing around with applying fondant on BC and squishing around and dinging it up and all sorts of other stuff.

jamiekwebb Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:01pm
post #22 of 22

The party size is the only size I use because I like that size myself. I don't mind a bit to do BC and do Fondant accents. I actually do this more than anything else, so I don't have a problem with it. I wish that I could get $125.00 for that cake but around here, no way! One of the ladies who used to do cakes said that the most she ever charged was $300.00 and that was for a big wedding cake. People are used to very low prices and I would totally not get any business at all. That lady makes awesome cakes that taste delicious too. Thanks for your input ladies. I am sticking with the price (although it is low) and if she doesn't like it then she can go make her own.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%