Washing Disposable Bags

Decorating By motherofgrace Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:31am
post #1 of 21

Hi!

So Im on a very tight budget, and cant afford to use the disposable bags one and the toss the. Also I find it more messy to take out the coupler then to wash it lol.

So I usually wash them by hand, but I just got a dishwasher, and was wondering if I could wash them in there, and if so how to place them icon_smile.gif

20 replies
Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 5:59am
post #2 of 21

This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen for filling and reusing bags.

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Video-Color-Mixing-Bag-Filling_ep_74-1.html

She uses saran wrap to fill her bags so you can reuse them over and over. HTH!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:13am
post #3 of 21

I always wash mine by hand. I wouldn't try putting them in the dishwasher. They are so light they would probably end up in the bottom. I never throw them away til they get holes in them.

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 21

ok thanks!

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:15am
post #5 of 21

ok thanks! do you also keep the couplers in?? Now i soak them, any tips on how to make it easier/ faster?

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:16am
post #6 of 21

Beckup - Thanks so much for sharing. This is amazing. I love it!!!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:30am
post #7 of 21

I will use the plastic wrap idea when I use two colors but isn't that a bit of a waste? The disposables are washable and you'd use less plastic by just washing them (the bags), JMHO.

I was the outside first then inside out and give them a good scrubbing with hot water. I let them air dry and use a dry cloth towel to dry any spots. I usually take my couplers out but you probably could leave it in. I use the little nipple brush from a baby bottle brush to clean my couplers, it gets in all of those little lines well. I soak them and my tips in super hot water but just for a bit to loosen the icing up. I would not put them in the dishwasher, they might get beat up too much or like Margie said, wind up on the bottom. If you use the heat drying option on your washer, they could melt/catch on fire. Burning plastic is a disgusting smell!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:31am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckup

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Video-Color-Mixing-Bag-Filling_ep_74-1.html

Waaay cool! I'd heard icing/frosting plugs with plastic wrap on this site before but couldn't quite grasp how it was done, seemed like one more complicated step getting in the way of me and my finished product, but her video explained it about as simple as it could be, will definitely be trying this one, thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:17am
post #9 of 21

I felt the same way about the saran wrap idea being too much of a waste until I saw that video. She shows how quick and easy it can be. I hate cleaning bags and I really hate wasting a perfectly good bag by throwing it away after one use. The thought of all that shortening and butter clogging my drains makes using the saran wrap method soooooo worth it to me!

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #10 of 21

I will have to try that!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 9:00am
post #11 of 21

Have you tried the parchment bags? They are the cheaper of the bags.

Personally I buy the 100 box of Wilton plastic bags when ever I have a coupon and nothing else to buy. I stock up on them. I currently have two boxes waiting to be used.

I know some of my students have washed and reused them, but they tend to get little pin holes in the bags. I haven't tried the plug idea, never really understood the need of it myself.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:30am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckup

Looks like a major waste of time. You can have a bag filled, and 1/2 way done while twirling the lil tube thingies.

Mike

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:32am
post #13 of 21

Run HOT water through the bag first. Strip the bag of tip, and coupler. Turn bag insideout, let soak in hot water.

Mike

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 12:45pm
post #14 of 21

are you REALLY saving?

once you consider the cost of:
water
soap
electricity/gas to heat the water
wear/tear on water heater
wear/tear on pipes (that grease accumulates!!! and can cause major problems)
your time it takes to wash them

are you really saving considering the cost of a disposable bag? I highly doubt it.

Personally for disposable prefer parchment. Couplers do work with them and much easier to get out of paper than plastic.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:03pm
post #15 of 21

I think the tubes of icing inside a bag is a great idea, however, I think it also wastes time. You can have a bag out and filled by the time it takes to do one of the plugs she shows but, if you want to use disposables to me that is the way to go. The one thing I will say is that we should not be letting very much of our icing go down the drain at all. It will clog it up, maybe not right away but it will do it. I take a paper towel and squeeze the leftover icing onto it, if there isn't enough to save. I dispose of my old icing the same way or onto a package of some sort that is going into the trash. I try not to let very much grease go into the drain if I can help it. I guess using the feather weight or disposable bags would be a matter of preference of how much time we may want to use in preparation. thumbs_up.gif
evelyn

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 21

If you're buying disposables in a 12-pack, you may be paying more than you need to. I buy them in teh 100-pack box. They are only about 20 cents each this way. 20 cents. Each. You blow more than that on a can of generic soda.

They last forever (imagine how many I went thru in a shop). Someone above is correct ... used over too many times (like THREE) will cause the seams to weaken. Nothing worse than having a bag explode and you get red icing all over your cake!

If you don't want to throw them away, invest in the regular bags. They hold up much longer.

To wash, turn them inside out. Yes, take that coupler out. Bit of icing can get jammed up in the cracks and crevices and that's how bacteria loves to start growing.

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

are you REALLY saving?

water

I live in an apartment and dont pay for any of that lol.

I havent been able to find the 100 packs, I actually pay 85 each.... so now you see my dilemma lol. Also I dont drive and theres no bus service here, and my husband works 12/7 .so if I run out, I cant just run out and buy them.

But I will try to find the 100 packs lol.

Thanks all

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Quote:

are you REALLY saving?

water

LUCKY you!...in my 20+ years living in apts., not once were utilities included. the rent only covered the space and only while in NYC did it even include the heat (steam). other than NYC heat, a/c, hot water all on my electric & gas bills.

and for those living in a house -- spend over 20 cents to save 20 cents? bad math, bad business.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Quote:

are you REALLY saving?

water

I havent been able to find the 100 packs, I actually pay 85 each.... so now you see my dilemma lol. Also I dont drive and theres no bus service here, and my husband works 12/7 .so if I run out, I cant just run out and buy them.

But I will try to find the 100 packs lol.

Thanks all

Go into ebay and do a search for disposable bags. Here is one listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/3-PKS-36-WILTON-CAKE-DECORATING-DISPOSABLE-12-BAGS_W0QQitemZ190356904696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5227daf8 There are lots of good prices on there for them, and you won't have to leave home to get them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:53pm
post #20 of 21

Country Kitchen also has them. http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx (If the search results don't show up, type in "clear disposable bags" in the search field.)

100 bags on a roll, 12" bags: $17.30 plus shipping. (17 cents each)
They also have a cheaper version for $13.80 for the box of 100. (14 cents each)

Type in "pastry bags" in the search field, and up comes the 18" disposable bags: $24.40 for a box of 100. (24 cents each)

motherofgrace Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:19pm
post #21 of 21

ok thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%