_Jamie_ Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of

What is the difference? Disco dust vs the glitter you find in the craft store with the stamp/scrapbook supplies. They both say non toxic on the labels, and I licked both of them icon_lol.gif and the only difference I notice (other than the COST) is the regular glitter is thicker. icon_confused.gif

45 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!! Only YOU would have licked them to see! I have no idea, but that maybe that one has been made specifically to be edible. Just cause it's non-toxic doesn't mean you should eat it.

_Jamie_ Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of

Oh hey, personally, if it says non toxic, it isn't gonna poison me, so I say it's fair game for my mouth! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

But seriously...I don't find anything anywhere that specifically says Disco Dust is edible, it's just non toxic. The stamping glitter is non toxic. Chalk is non toxic. Elmer's glue is non toxic. Play Doh is non toxic. So, I don't see where I'll be ordering that expensive disco dust anymore, to go on things that aren't gonna be eaten anyways. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #4 of

That is true & we do use chalk for gumpaste flowers. but I know sometimes the glitter may go on the actual cake. And it's cheaper, huh? Let me know how your expiermenting goes. icon_biggrin.gif

adree313 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #5 of

innnneresting.

i giggled at "the only difference is the regular glitter is thicker" .... cuz you licked it to find out! haha.

_Jamie_ Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of

Yep---had to do the experimenting on myself!

BlakesCakes Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of

Disco dust is just that--thinner PLASTIC glitter. It is non-toxic (won't poison you), but isn't technically edible (as it isn't really a food product). It is to be used only on decorations that will be removed from the cake. Same goes for non-toxic petal dust, chalks, or luster dusts.

Craft glitter can be either PLASTIC OR GLASS--lots of Martha Stewart's really pretty European stuff is glass.

One thing to consider is that small, particulate matter--like tiny raspberry seeds, etc.--can lodge in the intestines and cause bouts of diverticulitis or diverticulosis, especially in older people. This is an extremely painful illness and can result in perforations and/or infections............

In cake decorating competitions, many of the rules indicate that disco dust can only be used on decorations that will be removed fromt the cake before serving......

I don't use disco dust on things that will be eaten.

HTH
Rae

LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #8 of

Wow! That is great information. Thanks Blakescakes.

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 2:23am
post #9 of

Thanks Blakes...I wonder how many people think it's ok to eat..hmmmm.

tonedna Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:22am

There was a big issue with this at OSSAS 2 years ago about it. The companies say is totally edible. The judges where not sure about it. It was the first year Disco
Dust came out.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 3:41am

icon_rolleyes.gif Wow Jamie only you. I have looked at that big pack of specialty scrapbook glitter that comes in coordinating shades. Beautiful colors. But I just don't know. It really is pretty funny. I could imagine you doing that.

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 4:05am

Hee hee...yep!

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm

I've tasted it too Jaime.....it all tastes like glitter to me too! I use pixie dust (basically disco dust) that I get at cakesbysam.com........it's says "edible" so I get it, that way if a customer has an issue I can direct them to my source that says it's "edible" not just "non toxic".....

tonedna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm

The one from sunflower company says edible too!
Edna icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

The one from sunflower company says edible too!
Edna icon_smile.gif




When I received my Rainbow Disco Dust by Sunflower....it said 'non toxic' on the label. Nothing about being edible. I think it's like Blake said, just thinner plastic. Won't kill you, but in such small amounts....eh, so your toilet bowl will be sparkly later. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gif

aundrea Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:36pm

Ok-wait! I'm soooo confused!
I thought you could use disco dust on cake? Like to paint on fondant. Not just the decorations that won't be eaten.
I use snowflake dust all the time on my buttercreme cakes to add that sparkle I like. And the few times I've used satin ice I did paint on disco and luster dust.
Noone has ever gotten sick but this is very interesting.

tonedna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

The one from sunflower company says edible too!
Edna icon_smile.gif



When I received my Rainbow Disco Dust by Sunflower....it said 'non toxic' on the label. Nothing about being edible. I think it's like Blake said, just thinner plastic. Won't kill you, but in such small amounts....eh, so your toilet bowl will be sparkly later. icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.giftapedshut.gif




Yes!, is true..that's what it says, and what I meant with it. I wont kill ya!..
Sorry about my spanglish!
love the toilet bowl part!.. icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm

Aundrea...no, no one is going to get sick. It just passes thru you. (heh heh)....non toxic means just that-it isn't toxic. Does that mean it's edible? I don't think so. What to do, what to do, huh?

It's like playdoh and white glue. And chalk. All non toxic, but it's not for eating! But little kids eat it all the time....they don't die.

My purpose with this whole thread was basically to shed light on the huge cost of this disco dust stuff, when basically, it's just the same ole glitter you find at the craft store. I think. Don't quote me on it. But stay away from the stuff made from glass, in either event.

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm

yeah, you think kidney stones are bad...imagine getting clumps of glass glitter inside of you?????/.........you'd be poopin marbles! eeeek

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:19pm

Lol!

tonedna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yeah, you think kidney stones are bad...imagine getting clumps of glass glitter inside of you?????/.........you'd be poopin marbles! eeeek




icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif bad glitter cosntipation!..

I think the amount of glitter is so little that it wont harm anybody. I mean, who wants to eat glitter, I think that if I see i go around it. In my case the times I used gliter is in things that can be removed.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm

oh shoot, don't look at my cake pics I put that glitter all over everything!!! And my customers EAT it and so do I lol

no marbles to speak of though......(I must be gettin the plastic glitter)

tonedna Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 10:31pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh shoot, don't look at my cake pics I put that glitter all over everything!!! And my customers EAT it and so do I lol

no marbles to speak of though......(I must be gettin the plastic glitter)





icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just died with this!...haha
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm

Found on Google:

Give your poop some bling!

http://dvice.com/archives/2007/12/gold_pill_makes.php

LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm

O.M.G. Only you could have found that Jaime! icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:01am

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:09am

ROFLMBO!

tonedna Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:34am

I can't see the photo!..icon_sad.gif
But by what I read seems hilarious!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:35am
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh shoot, don't look at my cake pics I put that glitter all over everything!!! And my customers EAT it and so do I lol

no marbles to speak of though......(I must be gettin the plastic glitter)




Ditto

Now in the UK we have a range of Glitters called "Edible Art", so what does that tell you.

KHalstead Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 12:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Found on Google:

Give your poop some bling!

http://dvice.com/archives/2007/12/gold_pill_makes.php




Well, Hey Jaime.......compared to that pill we're saving a TON on the disco dust!!!! You just made me feel like the $10.00 w/ shipping that I pay for that little tiny container is worth it! lol I can get a whole weeks worth of glittered poo easy peasy...that pill is over $400!!!! Probably for a one time thing too! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%