How To Make Butter Cream Real Smooth On A Cake

Decorating By Bon_Bon Updated 3 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm by janeoxo

Bon_Bon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bon_Bon Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 4:43am
post #1 of 22

i love working with buttercream way more than fondant because of the taste, however i can never get it quite smooth any tips?? ive tried the wax paper but i dint like it so much

21 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:00am
post #2 of 22

This is how I do it

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 22

I strongly recommend that you invest in Sugarshack's "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" DVD. I promise you, you will not be disappointed. If you google 'sugar ed productions' you can go to her site and purchase the DVD there.

GL!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 22

I asked for that for Christmas.....and we are opening tomorrow hehehehe......eeeh

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 6:52am
post #5 of 22

Try Melvira's method. You can get the roller and the handle for less than $10 at Home Depot and it's so easy that my husband can do it icon_biggrin.gif
http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:17am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Try Melvira's method. You can get the roller and the handle for less than $10 at Home Depot and it's so easy that my husband can do it icon_biggrin.gif
http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

So easy your husband can do it lol.....thats not nice

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:22am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

It's true though...he's usually strictly a member of the tasting committee icon_biggrin.gif but he saw me practicing with the roller and decided it was cool enough to try. He's proud of not having any cooking abilities (says he brings home the bacon so it's my job to fry it up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ) but he can now smooth a cake just right.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:12am
post #8 of 22

I just got the Sugarshack buttercream dvd a couple of weeks ago. I made the penguin cake in my photos after watching it once. It was amazing to me the difference following her method made in how smooth the sides of my cake were. I highly recommend it.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 11:25am
post #9 of 22

Hmm, I like working with fondant because I love the final look, but it does take longer. Maybe I should take my Christmas cash and get Perfecting the Art of Buttercream. Thanks for the suggestion! icon_biggrin.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Well if HER'S isn't nice, I'll say this "mine can't do it even WITH Melvira's method..lol..and I'd tell him that to his face and you know what? He'd agree without a second thought! icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 22

Put on WAAAY more buttercream that you think you'll need and use your spatula to smooth as you remove excess buttercream. I like to heat mine up using super hot water, then wipe it dry with a paper towel(the spatula, not the buttercream) then use the hot spatula as an iron of sorts. I use non crusting buttercream so the paper towel method and the melvira roller method don't work for me, but if your using just the wilton buttercream recipe those methods might work better for you, worth checking them out. Oh and crumb coating(were you put a thin layer of frosting all over the cake and either put it in the fridge or let it set and crust first before you put on your final, visible, smooth, main layer of frosting) if you're not already, makes a WORLD of difference!! Hope this helps a bit!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Put on WAAAY more buttercream that you think you'll need ....

This is key. I like to use a bench scraper (anything with a large blade) to smooth and remove the excess. Sometimes the bench scraper gets it so smooth I almost don't need to Melvira it (but I always do! Melvira's paint roller is dah BOMB!!!!!)

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 22

Do any of you use the icing tip?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 12:51am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I never have. It just seems like one extra step and I'm always crunched for time, just my good ol' off-set spatula and a bowl of butter cream and I'm happyicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:01am
post #15 of 22

I've never used the big icing tip, BUT ....... !

When doing the 6" cakes (I hate 6" cakes), I've used like a big rose tip or just a bag of icing with the coupler to apply the icing and I'm amazed how fast it was and how easy to ice those stupid little cakes (did I mention I hate doing 6" cakes?). So I can totally see how using the big tip could go really fast. Give the turntable a big turn and squeeze away!

madgeowens Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:48am
post #16 of 22

I like to use it for chocolate cake to keep the dreaded crumbs away, because I always always lift the darn spatula off the cake and BANG get crumbs grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 11:20pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I use it on all my cakes. Personally I couldn't live without it. And I agree with the others the Melvira Method is the way to go thumbs_up.gif
Tammie

pastrychf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychf Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #18 of 22

I do use the big icing tip, and I love it. It makes icing a big cake go really quickly.

madgeowens Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 22

I just tried Melvira's method and omg, it was smooth on top in three seconds!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:28pm
post #20 of 22

I use both the cake icer tip & a paint roller-can't do better than that!!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 8:46pm
post #21 of 22

wow, I'm going to try the Melvira method, it looks so easy.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 3 Jan 2010 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 22

Defo be giving that a go, sounds like a lot of you guys rate it, so got to be worth a try.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%