Doll Cake On Top Of 2 9" Layers, Do I Dowel?

Decorating By princelyess Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 1:03pm by PinkLisa

princelyess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princelyess Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

I am making my DD a princess aurora cake for her birthday tomorrow. I used the Wilton Wonder Mold pan, and also made two 9" layers to put it on top of. Do I need to add doweling, and if so, for just the 9" layers, or should I somehow dowel the Wonder Mold top as well? It is strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese filling, Rick's special buttercream frosting and I plan on making the dress in fondant (though I haven't picked out a recipe for the fondant yet). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I bought a sleeping beauty doll, just so I could use the head!!! Oh, and btw, my daughter will be 20 tomorrow (that's right, 20, not 2) LOL princess.gifprincess.gifprincess.gif Crazy Girl!

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

Yes, definitely use dowels or another type of support under the doll, in the 9" tier. You don't have to dowel the doll itself although some people do if they torte it.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

that's so cute! I've never made a doll cake myself but from what I read you should dowel the whole thing. And if you are not very confident about the homemade fondant, you can order satin ice fondant.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 6:43am
post #4 of 5

I don't. icon_smile.gif You can see my latest doll cake in my pics. I use WASC which is a great cake for this purpose.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 5

I just made a Barbie doll cake (in my photos) and didn't dowel but had it right on the board. If I were to put it on top of another cake, I would dowel under the doll cake and also dowel the doll into the 9". That's similar to what I did when I put a soccer ball on top of a 9" (also in my pictures). I used Satin Ice to make the dress for my doll. Good luck. I would love a doll cake for my birthday and I'm much older than 20 - lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%