I Hate Convection!! Help!

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 1:03am by JustToEatCake

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 8

So... I get this new oven, a convection oven (standard range with convection oven). I'm all excited to try it out because I have a huge order to fill in 3 days!! I read to lower the temp, supposed to get less dome effect, etc

stupid oven! not only do my cake have a very dark crust forming but they have a huge ball like dome in the middle, but they are goo in the center! If that weren't bad enough, the baking is completely uneven and the dome isn't even centered. it's a complete mess. by the time I level the dumb things, I won't have anything left! what waste! does my oven just stink or is this how they are. I was going to buy commercial covections for my shop too, but now I'm freaked out about it! HELP!!!

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have the ability to control the fan speed? Sounds as if yours is way too high. I set mine to low fan for delicate things like cake batters and breads.

I'd also lower the temp by 25-50 degrees or so, until you get used to it. Got an oven thermometer too? Try it out. You might be baking in a hot-spot too.

sweetartbakery Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 8

I did lower the temp 25. I don't have the ability to control the fan speed though. the fan is in the back of the oven and i feel like it just blasts air in one direction, thus the lopsided cakes. ugh! so, this isn't supposed to happen?? antonia, what kind of oven do you have?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 8

I have two industrial Hobart convection ovens at the bakery.

At home I have this...

http://www.sears.ca/product/frigidaire-gallery-30-self-cleaning-convection-smoothtop-range-stainless-st/22289900?ptag=3

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 8

I too have the Kenmore double oven with the convection on the bottom.I have never had any of these problems you speak about.I do lower the temp to 325 as 350 tends to burn white cupcakes and cake and you do have to bake a bit longer by about 10-15 minutes.It sounds like a leveling problem and temp problem.Try and level the legs using a regular carpenter level ontop.Also try a thermometer inside to check the temp.I love my convection oven....

sweetartbakery Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 8

that is very similar to the oven that I have. when i cook at 350 with out using the convection part, my cakes are fine so i know the level thing is due to the fan. I just can't figure out what is wrong with it. I am glad this isn't normal though because I was freaked about the commercial oven that I wanted to buy... I'm just not even going to use the dumb thing anymore. even at 325 it is ruining cakes! maybe I should call the company!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 8

When I first moved into the shop and baked my first three cakes, I burst into tears because the cakes went right in the trash. I thinking, "OMG!! I've just signed up for $75,000+ worth of comm'l equipmetn and I can't bake a cake anymore!! aauuuggghhhh!!!!!"

I played with it and found the perfect combination: Baking strips (which I always use religiously anyway), temp set at 275, plus a pan of water in the oven to add moisture.

Perfect.

So you might have to experiment until you find what works in your oven.

Oh .... I also can't control the fan either.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%