Yet Another Cricut Question

Decorating By Andrea_Mamie Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 3:20am by greengyrl26

Andrea_Mamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea_Mamie Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 9

For all of you that have mastered the cricut...

We have been trying to get this thing down and nothing seems to be working. Ive reread every thread, ordered the video and tried everything. We cant seem to get it! Weve tried all combinations of pressure/speed settings, drying times, gumpaste thickness, etc. We dont have a pasta roller, but we are rolling it very thin. Weve watched the video several times and we are not doing anything different than the lady!

The problem we are having is that the images being cut are bunching up and all wrinkley and raggedy.

Any ideas or suggestions??

HELP!

8 replies
connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 9

Hi
I just got my cricut today and am anxious to try this. Where did you see the video?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 9

you can get her video from globalsugarart.com or her site deseretdesigns.com...hth

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 9

I do roll through a pasta machine. Till the paste is very thin, I have found that i can't make alot of cuts at the same time, cause it will cause the blade to gum up. After a couple of cut outs i have to flick the stuck on paste off the blade.

For me fondant with tylose added to it works best. The best fondant i have found for practice is the wilton brand(yeah i know yuck) Then i have used satin ice with the tylose with success but wilton was the easiest to work with.

i use a speed on 1 pressure on 1 and the blade set to 4 (regular green blade that came with the machine) Roll the paste to a 7 on my pasta machine with a 9 being the thinnest. Make sure to move the two little rubber pieces in the center of the feeder bar over to the side where they will be well out of the way of your paste.

I do find that when rolling fondant or gumpaste for decorations there is no way personally that i can get my paste to be all the same thickness without using the pasta machine.

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 9

I have tried everything...green blade, blue blade, pasta machine on the thinnest setting, moved the rubber, used the crisco on parchement, let the satin ice and tylose set for 15 minutes and the edges are still so ragged and hard to detach. Does everyone with success do it with ease? Or are you patching up after detaching? I seem to have the best success cutting out stencils with the cricut and rolling with my rolling pin and hand cutting! Although I would like to know the best tool to use when cutting intriquit (sp) designs.
Thanks for your help!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:17am
post #6 of 9

I'm having the same issues! I have the Cricut Expression, am using the deep blade, have tried every combination of settings, and still get a ragged mess. I was using Wilton premade gumpaste, but am now going to try fondant with tylose to see if that helps. Please, what's the real trick here?!?!

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #7 of 9

I don't understand.
I am waiting for my video and for my deep blade. But I couldn't wait.
So I bought today the cutting mats at Bed Bath and Beyond. 4 for $6.
I used the wilton gumpaste in the pasta machine set to 9, then let it dry in the mat 10 minutes(crisco underneath), and set the green blade to 4 pressure to 1 and speed to 5, and it works, I got the basic shapes.
I haven't try fancy stuff, but I am happy with it.
Can't wait to get the video and my deep blade.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:48am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaSW

I don't understand.
I am waiting for my video and for my deep blade. But I couldn't wait.
So I bought today the cutting mats at Bed Bath and Beyond. 4 for $6.
I used the wilton gumpaste in the pasta machine set to 9, then let it dry in the mat 10 minutes(crisco underneath), and set the green blade to 4 pressure to 1 and speed to 5, and it works, I got the basic shapes.
I haven't try fancy stuff, but I am happy with it.
Can't wait to get the video and my deep blade.

What a great deal on mats! Glad it all worked for you thumbs_up.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 3:20am
post #9 of 9

I finally have success!!! See my post in another Cricut thread (with pics)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6664843-.html#6664843

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%