Any Ideas How To Get This Effect?

Baking By kathik Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 20

I want to make a cookie of a frying pan cooking latkes (potato pancakes). I can't figure out how to do the oil and bubbles. Any ideas? Here is a photo of how a real one looks like:
LL

19 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:00am
post #2 of 20

maybe some piping gel slightly whipped to get air bubbles in it?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:10am
post #3 of 20

Mmmmmm..... latkes.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:10am
post #4 of 20

Maybe clear gelatin? Do it separate on a sil pat. Try whipping it then pouring it in the shape you want on the sil pat. Don't know, but post a pic when you are done. icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 20

I'd sprinkle white sparkling sanding sugar around each piped latke, that would be very similar to shiny small bubbles from the oil.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 20

There's even golden-coloured sanding sugar on the market, that would be even better.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Mmmmmm..... latkes.

Ditto!
Now I'm hungry.

kathik Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 20

Okay, I've been all over town and can't find piping gel. So either have to drive out to Michael's tomorrow (30 minutes) or I need to come up with a homemade version of sanding sugar. Is it possible to make your own and have it work well? I have Americolor gels. Can I mix those into granulated sugar to make sanding sugar or is sanding sugar something special?

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 20

How about poured sugar, like for sugar bottles? I can't give you directions off the top of my head, but you could look up the thread for sugar bottles. This is just a brainstorm that came out of my head. Not sure how you would get it bubbly, though. Maybe pour a bit the size of your cookie on some foil and put it on a cookie sheet in the oven until it bubbles, than take it out and put it on a cold towel or something to cool it quick.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 20

I think the piping gel with a bit of the sugar sparkles will be the best and easiest way....

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Okay, I've been all over town and can't find piping gel. So either have to drive out to Michael's tomorrow (30 minutes) or I need to come up with a homemade version of sanding sugar. Is it possible to make your own and have it work well? I have Americolor gels. Can I mix those into granulated sugar to make sanding sugar or is sanding sugar something special?

You could make your own piping gel....

kathik Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 20

Do you know of a recipe for piping gel? I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks,
Kathi

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:46pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Do you know of a recipe for piping gel? I'm willing to give it a shot.

Thanks,
Kathi

I used this one and it worked great:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6998/piping-gel-that-works

JanH posted it so you know it's been tested! it's just sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and water. All ingredients you hopefully have on hand! icon_smile.gif
Good luck!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 20

thanks for posting that! for some reason i never imagined you could make your own piping gel.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 20

frying latke cookies - what a great idea! please post them for us all to see when you're done!

kathik Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:44am
post #16 of 20

Thanks everyone. I went to the craft store tonight, so I will start working on my cookies. I'll post them when I'm done.

thanks again,
Kathi

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:40pm
post #17 of 20

Sorry I don't have any tips, but as far as I'm concerned, making "cookie latkes" has got to be easier than the real thing! LOL, but I dread making them but LOVE eating them. My kids have already asked my why I'm not in the kitchen already cooking for Chanukah! What more could you ask for than a holiday that celebrates with fried food? Latkes and sufganyiot, the end of my diet! Good luck with the cookies and happy chanukah.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #18 of 20

You can make sanding sugar--but it works best with the large grain crystal sugar. Just put some in a plastic zip bag, add just a touch of color and mush it together until the color is well distributed.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 20

Oh no. Now I NEED latkes.

I wonder if my Evelyn Rose International Cookery Book has a recipe? I've never actually made them. Seeing as dh has just found out he's got type 2 diabetes, I think latkes will be better than donuts this year!!

kathik Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:33pm
post #20 of 20

Okay, here's my prototype cookie. Can I have some feedback, please? I didn't like how the piping gel looked, because it made the top of the cookie look really messy, so i opted for the colored sugar. So, I'm trying to decide if I should use more, all the way to the inner edge, or if I should mix the yellow with clear for a lighter version?

Any thoughts? I'm open to other ideas, too!

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%