Gluten-Free Mixes From Betty Crocker

Decorating By chefjess819 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 3:28am by alene

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 10

had to post something about this since i saw that it was a new item from betty crocker. was looking for a cake mix (i use doctored mixes in my cakes lol) and saw that they now have gluten free mixes for vanilla cakes and brownies. thought that this was the coolest thing since there seems to have been a boom of people looking for gluten free cakes from bakers. figured that some of you on here might be interested in the news! thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:56am
post #2 of 10

Bought two boxes today! Have an order for one next week. Customer said that it would be fine to use the boxed cake mix. Was at a party a couple of weeks ago. They had some cuppies that was made from this mix and they tasted ok to me.

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #3 of 10

I have to ask if anyone has worked with gluten free cakes, etc? My DH's cousins & aunt are celiac and I would love to make something pretty to the family Christmas dinner that EVERYONE could enjoy! I wonder how the taste is and how tall to expect the cakes to be. Also, what kind of icing would one use? Thanks!

alene Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #4 of 10

Justforfun, the only thing I can tell you is that the cup cake that I saw rose like any other cup cake and it tasted fine to me. I'm hoping that it will bake ok, I have to make a john deere tractor out of it. As far as the icing, the customer said that regular icing would be ok.

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the info Alene- Good luck with the tractor!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 10

i ahve never baked one gluten free, but i'm glad that they have made a mix so that i can try them before i tell someone i can make them icon_lol.gif

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 10

I have used the Glutin free BC box mix. It was a very dense cake and in my 2 inch pan it didnt rise very high. It was right at 1 1/2 inches per layer. The lady that ordered it said it was great. I would use them again. HTH

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 10

I'm so glad you posted this. I had no idea that BC made gluten free mixes now. Where I work there are 2 residents that are gluten free. I've been making flourless cakes and other dessert items for them and this would be a great option for cake also.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 10

I have used the GF ckae mixes, but made cupcakes never the cake. They are very tasty. I made some last year for a bake sale and they sold before the regular mixes, even with people with no allergies- go figure. LOL .

alene Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #10 of 10

The john deere tractor cake that I just posted is made from Glutin free BC box mix. The lady that wanted it said that it was a big hit and it tasted good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%