Royal Or Buttercream To Attach Decorations

Decorating By Unisteph Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 5:01am by Unisteph

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all....I am sure this has been discussed a bunch but I search and couldn't find any info. I am doing a baby shower cake for a friend...1st time doing a cake that "strangers" will see. The expectant mom wanted nothing "baby" on the cake...they are doing a Christmas theme instead.

My design is a 12 in and 9 in choc. cake w/choc buttercream filling and iced in indys buttercream (1st time using by the way). I have made a gazillion royal icing poinsettas and 3 fondant/gumpaste christmas ball decorations. I plan on place the poinsettas around the sides of the tiers and placing the 3 balls as the topper.

I have never attached royal decorations to the side of a cake before. I am nervous they are going to fall off and worse yet take the buttercream icing with them. icon_cry.gif

I am wondering if I am better attaching the poinsettas to the buttercream with royal or buttercream??? Which do you think will hold better? I not even sure if you could use royal to attached to buttercream?? Sorry for the long rant...jsut really nervous about the transport of the cake and showing up with a huge mess!!

3 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 4

I would transport the cake and flowers separate and attach them on site with buttercream. It's not worth the nerves getting wrecked. HTH

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 4:09am
post #3 of 4

I agree - attach them on site with BC. I transported my wedding cake 3 hours and had to do several repairs because some of the RI decorations fell off in transit.

Unisteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unisteph Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both so much. So I guess I will get there early and assemble on-site. Should I bring buttercream or royal to attach the decorations...or does it not make any difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%