First Topsy Turvy

Decorating By The_Lil_Cakehouse Updated 14 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm by thecakeprincess

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 21

I am doing my first Topsy Turvy cake and they want a strawberry cake with cream cheese Icing. So I need two things, one a crusting cream cheese frosting and 2 instructions on how to do a proper Topsy Turvy with a 6" top on a 10" bottom....HELP HELP HELP!!

20 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 21

Although there's great help here on CC, there's a great tutorial on youtube by "janellscakes" Here's the link, if doesn't work try cut and pasting

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:10am
post #3 of 21

Thank you so much for posting that tutorial!!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 21

Glad to help when I can!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #5 of 21

Watched it, does anyone know how long to freeze it and if there are other if there are additional steps I should take since I am not using fondant

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 21

There are also a few topsy turvy tutorials in here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

As for the cream cheese icing, check out the crusting cream cheese buttercream at designmeacake.com

Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #7 of 21

I froze over night, and it worked the same way fondant or buttercream. Buttercream you do have to be a bit more careful when you stack each tier so it doesn't smear, fondant tends to have a little more "play" in positioning your cake(at least for me), but it's still the same steps.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 4:57am
post #8 of 21

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 21

I had an issue with my fondant when I froze the cake. It began to sweat and ruined the fondant!

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 21

I watched Buddy the cake boss do a topsy turvy cake the other night on CakeBoss. He actually cut out a circle in the bottom tier that was level after he had covered it with fondant and placed the top tier inside the cutout to make it sturdy. icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2BACakeStar

I had an issue with my fondant when I froze the cake. It began to sweat and ruined the fondant!

You shouldn't freeze fondant. If you freeze a cake and THEN want to cover with fondant, you have to let it come to room temperature. All that frozen moisture will ruin the fondant, as you found out icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #12 of 21

the BEST Topsy-Turvy tutorial came from Sharon Zambito's DVD...it is 110% worth every penny!!!!

www.sugaredproductions.com

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by autigger57

I watched Buddy the do a topsy turvy cake the other night on . He actually cut out a circle in the bottom tier that was level after he had covered it with fondant and placed the top tier inside the cutout to make it sturdy. icon_smile.gif

The CC article on topsy turvy cakes also illustrates this method:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 21

Don't forget to post a picture of the cake!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:27am
post #15 of 21

thanks everyone for your help and encouragement, It is now the week of my Topsy Turvy. It's Due Sat Jan 9th!! Wish me luck. I made myself a schedule to work on every night so I'm not completely overwhelmed Friday night icon_smile.gif I should have it completed by Thursday so by Friday if I needed to run out and buy anything I have time still!! Probably way ahead of the game, but this is only my 2nd ordered cake and as you all know my first Topsy Turvy!! Its also my first time to use the Funky Font Tappits and first time to make fondant/gumpast numbers for a topper!! I will post pictures as soon as I'm done. Again, wish me luck!!!

tatechloeandlucysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatechloeandlucysmom Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:39am
post #16 of 21

LUCK!!!!! I tried one for my daughter Lucy's first birthday... I have learned that I have much more to learn lol! icon_smile.gif I hope yours turns out fabulous! I got some super wisdom just from this thread... I haven't climbed back on that horse since, so thanks for the inspiration! icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:43am
post #17 of 21

I would not use cream cheese icing under the fondant. in my experience it is too soft and fatyy and the fondant slides down and sags. I am sure others have had success, but I never have.

just my 2 cents and good luck!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 21

I actually decided not to do the cream cheese icing because it has to sit out for awhile before the party so I didn't want to make anyone sick. so I made a Buttercream flavored like cream cheese icon_smile.gif I made regular buttercream and then added a packet of cheesecake jello powder! it is yummy! I was so glad I had that epiphany before the cake so I can still honor her creamcheese request!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:07am
post #19 of 21

Ok so here it is: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1554937.html

I'm posting another forum about MMF, so if you have any suggestions please look for it and give your input icon_smile.gif

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 3:48am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnt2BACakeStar

You shouldn't freeze fondant. If you freeze a cake and THEN want to cover with fondant, you have to let it come to room temperature. All that frozen moisture will ruin the fondant, as you found out icon_biggrin.gif

So sorry to disagree but the manufacturers of most ready to use fondant state that the fondant covered cakes can be frozen. I almost use fondant exclusively and every one of my cakes is frozen before covering with fondant (crumbcoated first and then popped in the freezer). Covering a cake in fondant takes just a few minutes and sweating shouldn't be a problem. However, room temperature plays an important role in using any frosting. I work in a cool room; regardless of the time of year. After covering the cake, it goes in the fridge. Cakes take just a very short time to thaw. If handled properly frosting a frozen cake should not be a problem. Many of the top cake artists use this method. I learned it from Scott Clark Woolley. I hope you'll try again.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 21

Cute cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%