Would You Use Black Fondant??

Baking By sugar-2 Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 2:24am by sugar-2

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 11

I have a 2 tier baby shower cake to make, lime green fondant.....customer requested a black band border around each tier......would you use black fondant or ribbon??? I'm afraid the black fondant will bleed onto the white cake with lemon filling, making it look dirty once cut??? Any advice????

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

Sure the black fondant will be lovely. But I don't understand how you think the black fondant will be in contact with the white cake. The lime green fondant will cover the entire cake, yes? Then the black fondant ribbon gets applied to the green fondant?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 11

I think it should be ok. I've used black fondant a couple times, none for a white cake though. I used purchased fondant(not homemade) and had a red velvet cake(twilight theme) and it sliced nicely no black streaks in the red cake or anything. Do you have time to do a practice mini, like a 4" or a cupcake, let it set then cut into it? If you're worried I might play it safe and go the ribbon route. Good luck and post pics!

sugar-2 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 11

thanks for the advice.....i just thought cutting through both the green and black fondant border would still leave a black streak on the white cake......i did buy ribbon just in case, still undecided on what the finishing touches will be.thanks again

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar-2

thanks for the advice.....i just thought cutting through both the green and black fondant border would still leave a black streak on the white cake......i did buy ribbon just in case, still undecided on what the finishing touches will be.thanks again

If you're that worried about it (and for the record, I still can't figure out how it would leave a black streak IN the cake), then don't pull the knife thru the ribbon THEN thru the cake. Cut straight down, then lift the knife out ... don't drag the knife thru the whole cake.

I think you're overthinking this. Just cut the cake and serve it .... people will love eating it! thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 11

No, you are not going to get a black streak thru your cake when cutting it. Take a look at the Red Rose cake in my photos. This cake was WASC and was torted and when cutting through the black stripes nothing left a streak any where. More than likely the black fondant band will break loose and fall off when they cut the cake into the small serving sized pieces as the fondant piece does dry. I used black Satin Ice and that stuff is the blackest black ever!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 11

If you are concerned about the color getting into the cake i would just recommend wiping your knife off after each pass through the cake..much like you would a cheesecake.

sugar-2 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #8 of 11

O.K O.K i'll stop overthinking iticon_smile.gif...thanks for all the expertise...HAPPY BAKING!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with everyone else. Black fondant isn't going to hurt your cake at all. People use black fondant on white fondant all the time and there is no trouble. I mean it doens't even hurt the fondant, let alone the cake underneath the fondant.

You are good to go!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar-2

O.K O.K i'll stop overthinking iticon_smile.gif...thanks for all the expertise...HAPPY BAKING!!

Oh no don't stop now--OverThinkers of the World, Think About it!!!!!!

sugar-2 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #11 of 11

The cake is done and pretty happy with the outcome...yes i did go with the black fondant bordericon_smile.gif I can't seem to post the picture, it's the lime green one in my photo's, thanks for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%