Coloured Buttercream

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm by DeeDelightful

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 9

k...this maybe a totally silly question, but i need to ask.....when people use strong colour in their BC icing, is that the same colour they use when filling?....for example, i'm making a bright pink BC cake...am i supposed to use white in the centre?...or use the pink b/w layers as well....the client didn't care, but i just wondered what others do....

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 9

I usually use the same color in the middle as on the outside.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 9

I usually use the same color, just because I don't make a separate batch for filling and frosting.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9

I usually fill with plain white and then color the icing after the cake is stacked.

laurs_1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurs_1981 Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 9

interesting....thank you So much for your input...i guess my next question would be IF you DO use a separate colour, do you crumb-coat w/ white, or the colour??

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 9

This isn't quite your question but just a heads up. I had one issue I hadn't thought about. I frosted the cake in a color but used a white damn and a fruit filling. When I cut it, it looked really odd. I think if you're filling with BC you would be fine either way but if you're using a different filling then rember to make the damn the same color as the outside.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Nov 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

I've done it both ways, but most of the time I fill and crumbcoat in white.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 9

I don't crumbcoat.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 9

It would be easier to crumbcoat in the same color you plan to ice....less hassle trying to cover the white icing with colored icing. I would use the same icing inside and out if the customer doesn't have a preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%