First Gumpaste Poinsettia

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 2:34am by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 9

OK - here is the first one. (need to make many more for my nephew's wedding cake) I am not sure what the deal is with the color - I airbrushed them with americolor's red red - and when they were dry, it looks like there were spots of green?? ( the gun was cleaned well before switching the colors) Do you think it looks ok like this? (I also dry brushed raspberry luster dust on them to add a little to it.) Thanks for opinions!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1521332&done=1

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 9

I thought it was intentional shading...it looks great!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 9

I think it's gorgeous! Actually, I think those flecks of green you're talking about make it SUPER lifelike. Beautiful job, can't wait to see the cake. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 9

I think they look great, very real. I thought it was intentional shading as well. If you think of a poinsettia it does have those shaded parts on the red.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 9

Beautiful job..did you wire them together? A little off track.... icon_redface.gif I just dug out the Gelatin in Bloom book I ordered...can I use any impression mat? I have several....Do I have to wire the poinsettias...I'm not patience with wiring flowers...couldn't I just glue them.... icon_cry.gif

Sorry to high jack your OP icon_redface.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone for the insight on the coloring. I appreciate it. I thought they looked ok, but needed other opinions. I have quite a few of them to make so I will be busy doing those this weekend! I am still not sure how that coloring happened - but we'll go with it! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, they are all wired together. Each. Individual. Bract. Even those tiny little centers are done in stages - and are each on a seperate wire. I definately need to get into an "assembly line" mode for this one.

Laurel - yes, you would have to wire the gelatin ones together too. I am not sure what mat you have for the gelatin - I need to look, although I am sure it says in the book. I don't think they would look right just "glued". Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 9

Awesome job! Love it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9

Wow! I totally love it. Everything looks perfect--something I'd want to put on my own cake. You did a great job!

Loucinda Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone - Rylan - the techniques I used for this were a combination of the two you have posted in the flowers link you did for all of us! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%