Using Tylose Gumpaste In Tropical Climates

Decorating By Annso Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm by Annso

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 6

HEY GUYS. I live on the island of Antigua in the caribbean and I recently orderd some tylose to make gumpaste.According to what i have heard on a few video tutorials on youtube tylose gumpaste is the best when comes to humid climates. However, when i took a short trip to Trinidad this month, i visited a cake decorating shop in Port-of-Spain and the gentle man in the store told me that tylose gumpaste would not work for our climate because of humidity issues. Is there any one on this forum who can say different?

thanks

5 replies
cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 6

Hey, I'm on the coast of Belize - super high humidity ('cept for today, one of the handful of random low humidity days in the year and it really is kinda glorious icon_lol.gif - I'm looking at the frangipani in my yard and thinking of making some sugar ones). I've used the Nicholas Lodge tylose recipe since being here and before living here, I used it back home in North Carolina - some pretty humid days there too. So yep, tylose should be just peachy for you icon_wink.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

Forgot to mention that I discovered that not all tylose is created equal. The only brand I had ever used was from JEM Cutters, but my sis sent me some from CK Products and I have to cut the amount called for by half or the sugarpaste is waaaaay too dry (I had to knead in extra egg white to be able to use that first batch). On the plus side, using this brand means my tylose lasts twice as long thumbs_up.gif

Annso Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6

THanks alot for the reply Cheeseball. It really helped

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 10:14am
post #5 of 6

Hey what store in Port of Spain did u visit?
I m heading to tdad soon and I wnt to make sure I pac everything i cant gt there

Annso Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 6

The shop that i found was SHOP NO.7, GOLDEN DOORS PLAZA, FEDERICK STREET

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%