...open The Global Sugar Art Petal Dust

Decorating By kjskid Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm by luddroth

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 21

I got little bottles of Global Sugar Art petal dust, but I can't open them! I thought maybe a can opener -- the kind that pries things open, but after a bit of exertion, it still didn't work, and I'm afraid if I try harder, it will fly open when it finally does. HELP! icon_cry.gif

20 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 21

Yeah I hate those little lids! If you aren't careful you will wind up with quite a mess!

Someone suggested to purchase the little bead holder containers from the craft section that have screw on lids and put the dust in those.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 21

I use a church key to open them then put them in little jars with screw on lids.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 21

amen those things are a nightmare to open

I have used a can opener, and slowly pry it off without actually pushing in (hope that makes sense)

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 10:15am
post #5 of 21

I bought just a couple of that brand, not knowing about those cursed little tops. I just won't buy that brand anymore. Not all of the GSA products come in the little devils, but I'm not risking it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I use a church key to open them then put them in little jars with screw on lids.

I just had to jack this for a second. I had to laugh at what you said, Tiggy2. At my grandson's wedding two weeks ago, we were in the kitchen at the hall, looking for a can opener to prep some of the food, and I spotted a church key in the drawer. I said, "Oh, look, a church key!" and nobody around me knew what I was talking about.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 21

I smiled when I read that term. I had not heard it in a long time either.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 21

A bottle opener works.

Jen icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Yeah I hate those little lids! If you aren't careful you will wind up with quite a mess!

Someone suggested to purchase the little bead holder containers from the craft section that have screw on lids and put the dust in those.

I want to add that you can find those small screw-top jars, inexpensively, in what's left of the craft section of Wal-Mart. They have them with the beads, but you have to look at the bottom of the display to find them.

Theresa

tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 21

I guess I was showing my age when I said that icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:

So did I, when I admitted that I knew what you were talking about. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 2:28pm
post #12 of 21

I struggled opening mine and then the stuff flew everywhere - what a mess. I'll look for those jars at walmart. Been ages since I've heard the term church-key too!!

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 21

alright, I'll bite!! What's a church key?

tiggy2 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 21

Old fashioned bottle opener used to open beer bottles.

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 21

Yes, I just got mine last week and thought I might have a defective container. I had my husband try it and he managed but with difficulty. I didn't think about putting the dust into another container, but the next time I use it, I will.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

If it makes you feel better, I knew what you were talking about and I'm only 35 icon_biggrin.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:

Old fashioned bottle opener used to open beer bottles.

LOL! I was going to say that one of these works really well, but I didn't realize there was another name for it! icon_biggrin.gif

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I want to add that you can find those small screw-top jars, inexpensively, in what's left of the craft section of Wal-Mart. They have them with the beads, but you have to look at the bottom of the display to find them.

Theresa

I bought those too! I haven't had the time to put the dusts into them yet, but can't wait to do it. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe that can be today's project, lol. The jars come in a 24 pack for $7 I think. I bought 2, and might go buy a 3rd so I have extras, lol. and I HATE the new Walmart layouts! blech!!!!!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #19 of 21

Thanks for starting this thread OP. I just bought 5 jars of petal dust from GSA, and had no idea that they were so difficult to open. I'll have to get my tools ready when my shipment arrives. icon_razz.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Quote:

Quote:

Theresa icon_smile.gif

If it makes you feel better, I knew what you were talking about and I'm only 35 icon_biggrin.gif

I'm only 33! I was going to say I used a church key, but I didn't know if anyone would know what I was talking about!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #21 of 21

The first time I bought petal dust, there was an opener shown in the on-line store, I think. It looks a lot like a church key, but fits the little lids better. It's the only way I can get the darn things open. They're not so easy to close again, either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%