Funky Alphabet & Numbers By Fmm

Decorating By Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 6:28am by dstbni

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 10

I just ordered these cutouts from Germany or whereever it was. I was disappointed when I got them. They are all attached together and not separate letters like I thought they would be. They are also HARD to get out!!! How do I make the letters without them sticking inside the cutouts??? HELP!! Should I send them back? Why don't they more readily make different font cutout letters in METAL??? Sorry for my frustration. Hope you guys can help me........

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 10

Are these the ones they refer to as Tappits? If so then you actually tap the plastic strip on a hard surface and the letters are suppose to fall out.

You can also coat a mat with some shortening and rub the 'cutters' over the crisco to help it release easier.

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 10

Yes, I think they are tappits. I will have to try that.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not trying to make a smart remark, but they come with very nice instructions! I just got these the other day and followed the directions and everything went fine.

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 10

Just got mine too. Same as grandmom said. Followed the instructions and worked perfectly. Rolled very thin, dip letter in powdered sugar, pressed into fondant, tapped it on the counter and they went flying! LOL! Good Luck!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 10

if you need to there is a tutorial on here (CC) by tonedna that shows you how to use the tappits cutters. It is really useful.

I know it is on here but can not for the life of me find the link icon_confused.gif

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 10

Wow! I thougth it was jsut me having a problem with those darn Tappits. I bought some awhile back & they had me so frustrated that I stopped trying to use them, I thought they were the stupidest thing going. AARRGGH!!! Thanks though for the crisco tip, I'll have to try that next time. They look so nice when done properly which is why I had to have them. Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 10

tonedna's method:

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:16am
post #9 of 10

I've been using fondant............maybe I need to switch to gumpaste? She also said you could use fondant with ??? What was that? Is that the same as Crisco? Thanks for all who responded! Edna makes it look so easy!!!

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

She says you can add Tylose to the fondant. Tylose is a powder that used in making gum paste. You can add some of the straight tylose to fondant to get it to act a little more like gum paste (ability to roll it thinner, harder/faster drying, etc.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%