Help-Round Ball Is Turning Flat!

Decorating By sweetartbakery Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm by luvmysmoother

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 9

well, it seems that I do complicated cakes better than simple ones. I have this simple round ball to make. I bought the round ball pan from wilton thinking "piece of cake". I used a dense batter (slightly less firm than pound) and then dumb balls is squishing down on the bottom. do you guys put supports in to hold the weight of the top 1/2? maybe that would have helped??? icon_redface.gif

8 replies
vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 9

yes!!! you need support in the middle. I learned the hard way when my cinderella carriage started sagging...good thing it was supposed to be a pumpkin shape and not an exact ball.
The good thing, at least for me, is that it did sag but it stopped at a point and didn't sag anymore.
If you can't now put supports (is the cake covered already?) maybe you can stick it in the fridge. IT'll have condensation if it's fondant but you need to choose between the lesser of two evils!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 9

So, you need support even if you don't put a 2nd tier on the cake??
What kind of support? Just dowel it as if you were doing a 2nd tier? icon_smile.gif

sweetartbakery Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 9

mine was just the ball shape and is was smashing. nothing else

vagostino Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 9

If you are doing a whole ball shape, that is 2 times the ball pan, one for the top and one for the bottom then YES, you do need support in the middle like it was a two tiered cake.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 9

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this question! I just bought the ball pan recently but haven't used it yet. I never would have thought to support it like a two tier cake! So you should put the top half of the ball on a cake board and dowel the bottom half of the ball? That seems excessive.

sweetartbakery Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 9

it does seem nuts, which is why I didn't do it. I didn't even think of it until my nice ball turn flat on the bottom and was unevenly squished on the sides. not good at all.

vagostino Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this question! I just bought the ball pan recently but haven't used it yet. I never would have thought to support it like a two tier cake! So you should put the top half of the ball on a cake board and dowel the bottom half of the ball? That seems excessive.

Yes...I know it seems excessive that's why I didn't do it the first time! But believe me, it will sag....and It will be noticeable since a round shape is very specific, even when it sags a little it will become an oval.

If you want a perfect round, you need to dowel the bottom and put a cardboard.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 9

OMG - thanks so much for the tip - I never even thought of doing that but was wondering why the bottom tended to get squished. I'll try it on the next cake for sure. I never even would have thought to dowel and cardboard the top half otherwiseicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%