Stacking Help Asap

Decorating By pastrychef22 Updated 14 Nov 2009 , 2:44am by redheadfairy2003

pastrychef22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef22 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 14

ok I have a cake that I need for next weekend. They want it to be 14/8/12/6/10 for the layers. They don't Don't need that much cake only for about 100 people. But I am just not sure how to support the bigger layers above the small ones. I need help fast so I can order whatever it is I need today or tomorrow morning??????????????

13 replies
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 14

I may be a little dense but I'm not sure what you are saying. In your list of cake sizes, are you starting at the top or bottom (14 on bottom and then out of order like you have them going up?)

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 14

Look at getting the SPS support system. That's the only thing I would use for this project.

HTH

Kathy

pastrychef22 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 14

Yes they go out of order starting at the bottom with the 14.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 14

Would they mind if you use some dummies in there...especially if the don't need that much cake??? The 14" and 10" are really all you "need" for the right amount of servings....make sure you charge for the dummies too though, and heck if it is all cake...make sure you charge for all of the cake they are getting...not just the 100 they need to serve....

CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 14

I had to check the serving chart...this would serve 208....

pastrychef22 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 14

The dummy cakes are just fine. I just need to know how to support this cake?????

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 14

The styro is great supporticon_smile.gif
Either use SPS or use dowels.
If using dowels/straws: Mark the top of the 14" w/an 8" circle and insert 5 straws/dowels around it evenly; place 8" styro; For next tier just place 12" on top of 8" styro; then mark top of 12" w/a 6" circle and place straws/dowels around it like you did in the bottom tier and place 6" styro on there; lastly place 10" cake on top of 6" styro. NOW: take a dowel rod that is at least 2-3" longer than the cake is tall and hammer it thru all the tiers right down to the base board the whole cake is sitting on.

Once on site and cake in place remove center dowel stake by twisting it back & forth as you gently pull it up & out. Hide hole w/a flower, leave or other decoration.

ETA: Each cake needs to be on a cake board at least the same size as the cake. It can be 2" larger if the board showing is no problem.

CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 14

SPS is the most popular...I personally do not have it, but have seen lots of great reviews

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:02am
post #10 of 14

i would use cake dummies for the smaller suppiort tiers and use a glued in central dowel, you couls hot glue gun the upper tiered cake to the dummy below for extra support if you felt the need but i have done this style layering with flowers filling the dummies and it supports itself quite well icon_smile.gif although i would recomend assembly at the venue

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 14

I need some help ... I have only done 2 tiered cakes....I use the rods and cake boards between layers but i still have leaning... what am I doing wrong ? Am I not useing enough rods?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 14

if you have leaning, chances are your dowel rods are not cut evenly. Are you cutting each one individually or are you measuring one and then cutting them all to that length?

When you measure them (I like to use a sewing ruler), you insert your dowel into the cake and measure the height of the icing, pull the dowel out and cut ALL of your dowels that exact same height. Then you have a perfectlly even and level support for your next cake.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 14

i use secaters to cut my dowels (ones cleaned steralised and only bought to use for cutting cake dowels) i insert one dowel and mark, remove and cut i can then use that to cut the rest to the exact size icon_smile.gif

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 2:44am
post #14 of 14

Thanks too all ! I think that is my problem . I thought I was getting them the same ...... but maybe not. We will see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%