Making Ganache... Heavy Cream Is?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm by prterrell

motherofgrace Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 12

i went to the store and didnt see "heavy cream" is the 3.25% buttermilk the same??? if not i spend alot of money on what i dont need lol

11 replies
JanH Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:51am
post #2 of 12

Buttermilk isn't either whipping or heavy cream. icon_sad.gif

Heavy Cream or Heavy "Whipping" Cream is 36-40% butterfat and when whipped it holds its form and doubles in volume.

Whipping Cream has a butterfat content of 30%. It whips but not as well as heavy cream, and will not hold its form as long.

Heavy cream substitute:
(Where whipping isn't required.)


Delynn Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:52am
post #3 of 12

When I make ganache, I buy Land O Lakes "heavy whipping cream". Buttermilk is quite different.

motherofgrace Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:54am
post #4 of 12

damn... thanks both of you..... maybe the store was all out, i will go to another one

motherofgrace Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:00am
post #5 of 12

JanH- ok so if I was making truffles, i could use the sub. Because its not whipped right!!

JanH Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:31am
post #6 of 12

I thought it was a baking substitute, i.e., whipping cream pound cake.

Never thought of using it for truffles, but since it'd save you another trip to the store... You could try it (maybe 1/2 the truffle recipe) and let us know how it performed.

ceshell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 6:34am
post #7 of 12

It's easy to make a small batch of ganache, so if you positively cannot find heavy cream, why not mix up a small amount (like, just a few oz.) and see if the sub works? If you do, please report back with results!

In the US, heavy cream is usually found in little half-pint or pint-sized milk cartons alongside the whipping cream.

Good luck!

Cakepro Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:09am
post #8 of 12

You can make some awesome cakes using buttermilk. Don't let it go to waste! icon_smile.gif

Melnick Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 10:15am
post #9 of 12

It's called Pure Cream over here. Maybe it's the same there?

Caths_Cakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:32am
post #10 of 12

its called Double cream in britain icon_biggrin.gif

motherofgrace Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 12

lol thanks to all of you, yes i will be trying it!

prterrell Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 12

Buttermilk is basically sour milk

Quote by @%username% on %date%